It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So you are saying that all (including you) have sinned and fallen short of the glory of god.  This then in your belief justifies the death of innocent children of disease and starvation.  How can you live with yourself if you really believe that your imperfection provides a justification for your god to kill and maim.  You have taken on an awful burden.

So you are saying that all (including you) have sinned and fallen short of the glory of god.

It is to say that no one is like God. For us to commune with Him we must be acceptable to Him but we all fall short and yes I am also a sinner. We all are. But if we recognize our need for God and ask for Him to come to us he will. 

It is to say that no one is like God. For us to commune with Him we must be acceptable to Him but we all fall short and yes I am also a sinner. We all are. But if we recognize our need for God and ask for Him to come to us he will.

Look at this image, Mercedes. This is ONE child of 870 million people around the world who are going hungry. Before 1990 it was a BILLION PEOPLE.

Every year 2.6 million children under age 5 die of starvation. That's nearly one child dying EVERY SECOND, Mercedes. These children are too small to ask God to come and save them. So the parents do instead. They cry out to God for their innocent children. "Please, God. I beg you! Grant me food today! Save my baby! I beg you!"

The child dies.

This scenario of misery, death, and grief plays out every day. Second after second, day after day, year after year. God does not come.

So there are three possibilities here.

1. Yahweh is able to help but he refuses to do so. He prefers it like this. He made all the rules, all of these people, and the world that is responsible for their suffering. He made them powerless to help themselves and now he refuses to help them as well. Yahweh is not all-loving, but a moral monster inflicting a slow, lingering suffering and death on billions of the weakest and most innocent of the species he created: cruelty on a level that defies comprehension.

2. Yahweh is unable to help. Yahweh's power is limited so he is not omnipotent and not really God at all.

3. Yahweh is imaginary. We're on our own. This is humanity's problem.

Pick one, Mercedes.

Try number three. The problem of world hunger remains, but once your mind is free it's a lot easier to face reality.

That is tragic. 

It is indeed.  So what's your answer?

Oh this should be good. :)

Could it be the xtian doG is racist?

He didn't pray hard enough. Or is it they he "preyed" too much?

God must have created the rules, though.  If we are all sinners, it is only because God designated certain actions as sins.  Yes, we are told that God had given us free will to do as we choose, so if we break his rules, that is our fault.

But, judging with how eager most of us seem to be to break those rules, it would seem that perhaps we are predisposed to doing so.  We're sort of "programmed" to be rule breakers.

So if he created a set of rules for us to follow, he didn't do a very good job of giving us the "tools" to follow those rules.

We've been set up to fail.

Is it some kind of test?  Is he really that sadistic?

What kind of "father" would sit his child down in front of a plate of cookies, tell the child that he is not allowed to eat any of them, then walk away to silently watch, until the child inevitably eats one of the cookies.  Then the father punishes the child for all of eternity...

Daniel, I used that same analogy in an article I wrote last year, about placing the Tree of Knowledge in the middle of the Garden, and saying, "Now don't eat any --"

Speaking of kids, imagine your two sons both came running in after school, each with a project they had made with their own two little hands. You tell one how great a job you think he's done, and the other, that his is a piece of crap. Then read the story of Cain and Able.

Mercedes,

I have a lot of difficulty grasping someone's willingness to explain a lack of perfection as the reason for disease and starvation of millions of humans beings, especially children. It would take a very callous heart to turn away from such monumental misery. 

So, do you believe you are one of the lucky ones who happened to be exposed to the correct religion? There are hundreds of millions of religious adherents who think you are as incorrect in your belief system as you do them. There is either more than one legitimate god or many people are foolishly living a doomed existence. Either way it makes little sense when viewed from an irreligious perspective.

Don't be satisfied with what you presently know. Seek out more understanding in regard to the phenomena of worldwide religion and its development over several milennia.

I know it must seem that we're ganging up on you, Mercedes, but then you must have expected as much when you came on a recognized atheist site with a theistic agenda.

How does the excruciatingly painful, humiliating death of Yeshua (his real name, "Jesus" was only the Greek translation), if he ever existed, negate the fact that I stole a penny piece of candy from a convenience store when I was seven? Does the store owner get his candy back? How does that work, exactly?

You see, a sacrifice, where religion is concerned, is an offering to appease a god, so if you follow the logic of John 3:16, your god loved the world so much he gave his son as a sacrifice to himself - rough on the kid, certainly, but other than that, I can't see much accomplished by the act.

I love you SO much, Mercedes, that I'm going to go out and buy myself a present! Does that really make any sense?

It also doesn't speak very highly about your god's taste in gifts for himself - I'm thinking, a new robe, maybe a nice suit and tie for a change, or some cologne, but the mangled corpse of your son is just a bit over the edge, don't you think?

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service