It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The seed of doubt sometimes has a looooong germination period. Good Luck.

I'm late to the party as usual...

It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

I used to believe in god, and went to Catholic school for a time.  The more I studied the bible, the more I realized that the god of the bible is a very poorly constructed myth, and that the Jesus myth is a poorly constructed amalgam of former gods and Jewish messianic belief.

Take time to read the bible from cover to cover, word for word.  It is a tome of scientific ignorance and moral savagery.  Never mind that there isn't a shred of evidence for the existence of gods, or a spiritual realm.  If the god of the bible actually did exist, he would be a petty, inconsistent, murderous tyrant that wouldn't be worth a shred of respect much less worship.

I expect that this question is badly formed. It should be of the form, 'Why do theists seem to need so little to believe in a god?' 

I expect that a similar question could be formed concerning magical claims, business scams, etc.

Why do christians ask for so little? Atheism is fact based, religion is superstition.

The fact that there is no evidence to support any religion so far conceived by people.  Is that not fact enough?

Hm-mm, I last visited TA several days ago, before Mercedes arrived.

Who works harder to win converts, TAers or Jehovah Witnesses?

@Holo Gram - why do you say that atheism is a religion? 

@Holo Gram;

"I didn't say that Atheism was a religion"

"To me, Atheism, a disbelief in the existence of deity, appears to be a religion."

So you're not saying it's a religion but to you it appears to be a religion, it would seem you are having difficulty making up your mind.

"Please explain why it is not."

It's already been explained ad nauseum.

I get the feeling that it should have been, "Holy Gram" --

By doG I think you hit the nail on the spiritual head. :D

Sneakwww.thesneaks.co.nz.ico" class="smarterwiki-zc-image-img" alt=""/>The Sneaks, a band from New Zealand

From time to time, I get lucky - usually, I just hit my thumb.

I'm now officially ignoring HolyGram. :)

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service