It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly, Rocky, I fear you might be right, but hope you're not.

@Mercedes - This a verse out of your bible - from a god that is supposed to love people, born in his image -

EX 12:29 The Lord kills all the first-born in the land of Egypt.

Why would this be - that he is killing babies.

I used to play a game with the versing folks. I looked it up and read the context. Nine times out of ten the meaning in context was nothing like out of context. Sounds to me like that is lying, liars for the lord.

Nothing really new there. Before the Hebrews heard the 1st commandment they made a golden calf. Upshot is the priests of that god (before there were priests of course) went on a divinely sanctioned rampage and slaughtered those who worshiped the calf.

Of course killing the first born males was an iffy thing. 1/3 to 1/2 had already died of childhood diseases. One always needs to look at things in terms of their times.

I am not asking for MUCH proof in the existence of god(s), I am asking for any sliver of scientific evidence !

It comes with the territory of having an open mind.  I'm sure everyone agrees that having an open mind is a good quality--namely the consideration of all possibilities, the weighing of merits, the plusses and minuses of each option, that sort of thing.  However, there are limits.  It's one thing to be open to all possibilities, but if one truly has a discerning mind, one must separate logical, sensible notions from every cockamamie idea that might come down the pike.  To do so, one needs proof.  If you expect me to accept the idea of an omnipotent, omnipresent, omni-loving Big Guy in the sky, I'm not going to take your word for it, nor am I going to accept anyone else's word for it, either.  If I did, the big guy might as well be an enormous tortoise or George Burns or that thing playing marbles at the end of "Men In Black."

this was great, true and fitting - made my day, thank you...

I do not usually reply to these discussions much anymore, but you have gone to far Mercedes.

Instead of god having his only son killed, why didn't he just plant a tree?

After creating the whole universe in all it's diversity, another tree that could forgive sin seems a very simple matter!

We now know the universe is a very big place, consider there could be billions of worlds with god's imperfect creations that need a jebus sacrifice. He has to abide by the same rules, you know.

I still cannot get my mind around the concept of an all powerful god that cannot forgive sin without a blood sacrifice of some kind.  

I guess we humans have a higher standard than your god, no animals were harmed during the making of this film. 

I do not usually reply to these discussions much anymore, but you have gone to far Mercedes.

Instead of god having his only son killed, why didn't he just plant a tree?

After creating the whole universe in all it's diversity, another tree that could forgive sin seems a very simple matter!

We now know the universe is a very big place, consider there could be billions of worlds with god's imperfect creations that need a jebus sacrifice. He has to abide by the same rules, you know.

I still cannot get my mind around the concept of an all powerful god that cannot forgive sin without a blood sacrifice of some kind.  

I guess we humans have a higher standard than your god, no animals were harmed during the making of this film. 

I decide to leave think atheist. Thank you everyone. I enjoy this conversation. I will not change my faith and I love God with all my heart. I do not want to cause any problems. Bye.

Is that of your own personal choice or someone else's choice?

But good luck on your journey in life

Damn, that's too bad. Mercedes if you are reading this I wish you the best. I was hoping you would stick around. We need more women here and especially women who aren't afraid to speak up. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service