It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 12259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not that we ask for so much proof - its that you ask for so little.

but still I think the Bible is proof because it many century of scripture all that point to a God a personal God living and communing among us. This to me is proof. It is not just a little it a lot! But I see now that many do not see this. I dont try to argue but just to say what I think.

Which bible are you reading? The one I have read goes through the entire old testament with it primary god only speaking to prophets and no one else. Therefore not a personal god at all.

In the NT, other than a few guest appearances to a very few there is no communication at all.

I find it amazing that people can make up such nonsense as a personal god despite everything written in their holy book.

BTW: Proof is for math and logic only. Everything else is evidence. Testimony is not evidence.

The bible is so full of conflicting information I don't know how you can conclude it is anything more than a collection of stories - written long ago. See my more complete reply below.

Mercedes, read what I've written, then come back and we can discuss it, either on the board, or by Private Message --

It has occurred to me that I am not asking for proof.  Yes, I would need incontrovertible proof to believe, but I am just as content going along not believing in Jesus or any other divine being.  I have not asked for any kind of proof.

Well said.

And if you go further they also prettied it up. A direct translation is poorly composed. The poetic content was deliberated added which delayed publication by years so that the writers of the time could create it. OTOH: In some cases the poetic translation is literal but modified like BT YHWH as house of Yahweh instead of temple of Yahweh but Yahweh is changed to the Greek Adoni making it house of the lord.. But casting bread upon the water is literally something like making soggy bread.

And then Jesus the Anointed is left untranslated as Jesus Christ to make it appear to be a title rather than a run of the mill anointed person.

This is translation in light of later theology and is deliberately misleading.

As an Athiest I simply don't believe God exists in the first place. I certainly don't need him to. I understand where I come from, I know where I'm going. I have morals and values and believe I am responsible - nobody else - for how I conduct my life. Gods were inventions of ancient peoples to explain a lot of mysteries we now understand thanks to modern science. But the ancients also discovered that those Gods they invented were very useful tools in manipulating those less intelligent - so they kept them (or him depending on your viewpoint) around. He is very useful in manipulating the masses. 

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers, as useful."
-- Seneca --

Then why would she be here, Rocky, asking these questions?

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service