It almost seems like atheists don't want to believe in God. Do you just simply not want to believe in God because you don't want to give up your own free will?

ADMIN EDIT: Mercedes has left ThinkAtheist.com on her own accord. This discussion will remain, however do not expect a response from the author. 

~Dan.

Views: 11622

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who's to say you're not interpreting it incorrectly? Are you a well-learned theological scholar, or did God inspire you with His intentions?

That verse is wrong in 2Peter. your interpreting incorrectly. It says that no prophet was just making it up but that it came directly from God. But now we have the Holy spirit

There are 41,000 denominations of Christianity, Mercedes. How many proclaim to the others that their interpretations are incorrect? Dozens? Hundreds? On what basis do you claim your interpretation is the correct one?

You'll have to take that up with them. It's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

You haven't begun to approach step one: providing evidence for God. Not "so much" evidence. Not what is "evidence to you". I mean scientific evidence. Any whatsoever.

You can't do it. Because there is none. That answers your original question.

"There are 41,000 denominations of Christianity, Mercedes. How many proclaim to the others that their interpretations are incorrect?"

The answer is every single one of them.  If any 2 agreed on interpretation, they wouldn't be a separate denomination.

The answer is every single one of them.  If any 2 agreed on interpretation, they wouldn't be a separate denomination.

Sure they can, Keith. For starters, look at the Eastern Catholic Churches: 22 autonomous denominations that interpret the Bible as Catholics do and bow to the authority of the Pope in Rome, but who differ on things like what language to say the mass in, whether or not to use unleavened bread for the Eucharist, whether non-celibate monastic orders are allowed, and so on.

Not that it makes it any less ridiculous if a hundred instead of a thousand denominations disagree about what the Bible says. If there is any misunderstanding at all: this is supposed to be THE perfect being's way of delivering his instructions to humanity?  Right.

True enough.  So, even if there were only 2 interpretations, it would prove that a "perfect god" didn't create it or it would be impossible to misinterpret, even once.

How about a Narwhal?

Do you believe in the Hindu trinity? Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva?  How much proof would it take for you to accept that that concept of god was possible much less correct?   Many people have a tendency to dismiss out of hand with the barest of considerations all other concepts but the ones under which they were raised.

The question of proof of god or not...is usually ONLY a question of whether OUR particular version of God is correct or not..   It doesn't even enter the mind to ask whether other versions/definitions of god might be correct....because they have already been dismissed out of hand.   We don't think to ask the question if Brahma is the correct definition of god or not.  What about Wakan Tanka?  The Great Spirit? etc...

Theists want to get onto atheists for demanding proof, when they aren't even willing to consider the question about other definitions of god, not to speak of whether there's proof enough to propose such a concept as a god in the first place.

Ok so I normally will read every post in a thread like this even if there is 13 pages but after about 4 I just can't take anymore.  How old are you?  You sound like you're about 9.  What do you do for a living, if you do anything?  Are you here just to quell your curiosity of how we could possibly reject something that seems so obvious to you?

Gosh, I don't know - we have a spirit who "inspires" Bronze Age/Early Iron Age men to write that he exists, that he can suspend the verifiable laws of physics in order to perform, "miracles," that promises an incredible life for all who obey his rules, many of which are strange (even by human standards), arbitrary, often conflicting, and self-serving, which only begins after you die - why indeed would anyone expect evidence before jumping on such a bandwagon? Sign me up!

I know what you mean. I post regularly here on the forums and yet they still deny my awesome powers. I mean when I say I'm the great God yahweh, it must be true because I said it!

Mercedes,

Fellow atheists have patiently provided you with abundant food for thought. Now the question is whether you are man or woman enough to seriously consider whether the responses have true merit. If you should decide to investigate any lingering doubts, which I believe may be your reason for addressing this forum, to the veracity of your own personal belief system then I would like to suggest the following:

1. Consider your place in life and on this planet from a demographic standpoint. Your adherence to the  Abrahamic religion, specifically christianity, is largely a result of your birthplace and subsequent indoctrination by your family and environment. Now, were you born into the correct religion? 

2. Take time to study the evolutionary origins of religion in general. Christianity is actually a fairly modern religion in the context of animism, etc. Boyer's 'Religion Explained' sheds some good light on the subject.

3. Ask yourself, outside of references to religious texts, aka the Koran or Bible, what evidence is available in my world that support the antiquated notion of invisible supernatural beings actually exist? 

4. How do you come to terms with the chaos of our civilization (disease, war, murder, rape, torture, pedophilia, etc) if your god is a loving caring being? Or did it simply create the 'heavens & earth' and now stands back with no direct intervention into the lives of homo sapiens?

5. Would an invisible all powerful being actually be so engrossed with this one solitary planet in this huge universe to require blind obedience and sacrificial offerings for promises of never having to die?

6. Science can be your friend and help provide answers to questions that our ancestors were not privy to. The more we learn in the scientific realm the less stable are the foundations of myths & religion. 

Yes Ed. some good replies here, some much more thoughtful than others. in regards to one of the questions here

How do you come to terms with the chaos of our civilization (disease, war, murder, rape, torture, pedophilia, etc) if your god is a loving caring being?

We have all sinned and fallens short of the glory of God...no one is perfect. I come to terms with it by accepting that fact and knowing that Jesus has died for my sins.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 12 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service