I was browsing through TheThinkingAtheist's facebook page, since people tend to post a lot of great things there.

Then I stumbled upon this.

http://www.humanistsofutah.org/2002/WhyCantIOwnACanadian_10-02.html

Not only is this absolutely hilarious, but it shatters anyones argument that they follow the Biblical code, and underlines that Christianity is an outdated religion.

Enjoy.

Lots of love,

Artem

P.S. I wasn't sure where exactly this would fit, so I do apologize if it's in the wrong category. But hey, it's my first post over here :)

Tags: Canadian, bible, biblical, code, outdated, religion, violent

Views: 89

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha that's great.  I wonder if she replied.  Probably not.  I love it when theists get caught picking and choosing among their religious beliefs.

Just a note though, you said.

Not only is this absolutely hilarious, but it shatters anyones argument that they follow the Biblical code, and underlines that Christianity is an outdated religion.

Just FYI, Dr. Laura is in fact an Orthodox Jew, and not a Christian.  Same bullshit though.

Oh, you're absolutely right! But, I suppose this applies to both Judaism and Christianity, since both of them believe in the Old Testament.

Even if you could own a Canadian, there is no way you'd every tame one of us. We're far too wild

The apologetic argument is that the old testament laws are divided into "cleanliness" and "moral" laws, ans supposedly the "moral laws" still apply, while "cleanliness laws" no longer do, nor do the punishments (usually death) for violating the "moral laws". 

The problem is that this is never specified at any point in the scripture.  The laws in the old testament are NOT clearly divided into to categories.  They are listed one right after another without any indication that each one only applies to a specific category.

The problem with that is that entirety of Leviticus (which contains that one popular verse) is a holiness code. And one that only applies to male Levitican priests.

The word that's mistranslated as "abomination" really refers to a ritual uncleanliness not some kind of intrinsic immorality.

Thoroughly ripped off of "The West Wing", when President Bartlet unleashes a torrent of awesome at a fundamentalist (a Dr. Laura clone) just to embarrass her for lack of propriety.  This lacks the majesty of Martin Sheen's presence, but it's still awesome.  Aaaand I scroll down and there's the scene in question.  Give it a watch.

In fact, go watch "The West Wing".  The whole thing.  Right now.  It's awesome.  Except season five.  But once you get past that, the show gets good again.

It's the other way around. "The West Wing" was inspired by the letter, which made its way around the internet per email back then.

Source:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,85669,00.html

Aw, poo.  Well, it's still awesome.  And folks oughta watch the show.  I checked snopes, but under TV, not religion.

Thank you for this, this has made my day. 

This is fantanstic. Print. Memorize. Tweet. Repeat.

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 10 hours ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service