Militant in your Atheism that is...For those of you who consider yourselves "militant Atheists" I want to better understand two things:

1. What is Militant Atheism from your point of view...what really does it mean. Please explain in detail. Define it for us.

2. Why is it necessary. Why not just be an Atheist? Why do you consider it any different than the extreme points of view held by religious fanatics. Why isn't it enough to simply say, "I am an Atheist"

I'm asking this question honestly because I want to learn. I am an Atheist but not for very long. My mind is still poisoned by religion. I want to further my knowledge on the subject and help those others like me who are just starting to see the fog lift. Hope it will be an educational discussion. Thanks.

Views: 730

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOVE Greta Christina - I wanna be like her when I grow up, lol

militant :

vigorously active and aggressive, especially in support of a cause:

I can say that my stance on anything supernatural, woo as Heather calls it, is very rigid to the point of intolerant. If I am in a circumstance where woo is finding favor then it is my atheistic duty to stand my ground. But because of where I live here in the southern U.S. I have to choose my battles wisely. Having to rely partly on the local population as clientele for my business it is a balancing act. The key is to make your point without coming across as callous and disrespectful. Of course whenever a theist is put on the defensive things do seem to escalate quickly. By maintaining one's composure in the face of heated debate it makes the other side look all the more foolish. 

We need to rock the religious boat and hopefully dump a few out every now and then. Being baptized with reason is something all theists could use. 

I think a debaptism could consist in handing the freshly apostate a towel.  And of course the implicit Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy reference just reinforces that.

I really like how Reg went fucking OFF and showed how horribly sick the product of religion really is. We have to get pissed if we're going to do something. Most people that I know aren't willing to live their lives caring about anyone but themselves and their immediate family and friends (if even that). The Christian faith for example teaches "take up your cross and follow me..." But you know what, I was never compelled. I tried to muster up the willingness to care enough about this imaginary deity that was supposedly commanding me to "follow him" but the inspiration, the gut level reaction, the ongoing ability to continue to care took a lot of work and strength just to keep from being complacent. Even in church they have to continue to preach on "not becoming luke warm" to try to keep people's heads in the game. No thank you. The pictures of filth and injustice posted here are enough to light a fire inside of me that cannot be quenched. While I don't live in an environment that is particularly hostile towards religion, I am saddened by the news of the places that are. Like the discussion kOrsan posted about Islam...for those of us in the US who are in a McDonald's size bubble and have no fucking CLUE what these people are going through it's easy to be chill. NO!!! We need to be militant. That is we need to care enough NOT to remain silent. THE SILENT ONE IS THE ACCOMPLICE! Whew! Isn't Hitchen's birthday coming up soon? I think I'm gonna have me a shot of that JWB and think about some shit.

Raise the roof, lol

Oh go on...just the one then

Loved that clip!

A Hitchens work out...He Lived Big!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Torture Works

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 27 minutes ago. 42 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.