Sorry. I'm new here, but I'm already confused.

Why are people arguing the existence/non-existence of God? Honestly is anyone aware of an online conversion being made? In either direction? Has anyone EVER said, "Oh wow, I guess you're right. So there really is/isn't a God."?

To me it makes more sense debating the existence of Santa Clause - which is supported by a great deal more physical evidence. At least I've SEEN Santa Clause.

It seems that engaging in such arguments actually adds strength to theist perspectives because a logical argument should assume a reasonable basis on both sides. Whoever has the best case or makes the best argument wins.

Are there any sound logical arguments in support of God? I assume not. Why then do we argue with people who are not swayed by certainty?

More broadly, why are we here (at TA).

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a way, same here, Sarah.  I was a theist as a child.  I grew up in the worst of the bible belt.  Just meeting an atheist who explained the logic of it to me was enough to de-convert me on the spot.  Religion relies on peer pressure.  Apparent unanimity of belief is necessary to ensure its survival.  Sure, some will continue to believe no matter what, but, eventually, they will be the lunatic fringe that they should be.
I believe in being as respectful of someone else's beliefs and opinions as I want them to be about mine.  I will engage in debate with a person, no matter what their belief system, as long as they can remain non-aggressive.  I began to question religion and the belief in an all poweful god when I was seven.  I asked my Sunday school teacher the following question," If Adam and Eve were the first people and there were only two of them, how did Cain and Able get married?"  I was asked to leave class.  Over my lifetime I have actively participated in a number of religions.  This experience has given me the ability to counter the "that's not what we believe" argument.  I also find it helpful to be able to point out that any one verse in the Bible can be directly contradicted with a second verse found elsewhere in the text.  On the occassion that the person I am speaking with begins to simply say, "God says..." I ask the following question, "Do you believe what you believe because it's true, or is it true simply because you believe it?"  It generally ends the conversation.
Thank you all. I wondered if I'd get any response. I'm blown away. And I've learned from every single one.

Now please help me figure out where all this systemic theism is coming from.

As human societies, we internally seek homogeneity, as opposed to diversity. Historically, every culture has had its own value systems. Within each of these societies, there was a large degree of homogeneity. It's the only way for society to function. All modern countries work fine as long as everyone is on the same footing and has access to generally the same resources. Take France for example. It used to be among world leaders on the happiness scale before their immigration problems. Is it the immigrants fault? not really, it's the government's fault for letting the situation get out of hand. Canada had extremely low crime rates until Asians rendered Vancouver uber violent and Carribean expats increased violence in Toronto. Cultural diversity as a value system is unworkable, but it is placed up front of social values because it makes us SEEM altruistic and generous about our acceptance of other cultures. In the USA's first centuries, other than slaves, most other immigrants had equal opportunity, and equal backgrounds, they were all "immigrants". But this century, the sense that there is a contradiction between the "established" culture and newcomers desires has grown ever stronger. This is natural. The only way for a society to function peacefully is to agree on a large common ground. Masses of immigrants living in squalor and in ghettos is in direct conflict with orderly social functioning.

So it is entirely natural for theists to work at effecting and/or maintaining homogeneity. Just as if atheists were to colonise a lesser-battling culture and overtake them, we'd most certainly organise our social structure around godlessness, just as Humanists would organise around human priorities and Buddhists organise on Buddhist principals.

What's interesting is that it's not about atheists being right or wrong, it's not important. The point is atheists in general are similarly interested in growing our ranks, because it favours our world view.

Personally I take that as a win, since these days I'm mostly brow beating them about trying to put their faith into science class rooms.
That's pretty much exactly how I felt when I started this thread. I've definitely changed my mind. As some said (paraphrasing) "if their only defense was 'it's a matter of faith', they may well go to bed and reflect on that and start to question their faith".

Why argue?

First, it entertains me.

Second, it enlightens me.

Third, it can contribute to enlightening others, including the person I am having the discussion with, and onlookers. I don't know about any deconversions, but progress is made quite frequently.

Apologies if this answer has been posed, but I didn't read the nine pages of responses.

It's been my feeling that for every participant in such arguments, there may be an additional ten lurkers or on-lookers who never participate.  I think it's often those lurkers that may be the most influenced by rational explanations and criticisms and logical arguments.  They're the ones who are doubting and searching for answers.

Nice!

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service