I feel compelled to point out something very obvious that everybody seems to be missing. 

But lets start at the beginning where every good story should start. In the past few years more and more right wing religious leaders seem to be jumping on the Gay bashing band wagon. These people seem to be getting more and more vocal and more and more media coverage. 

Perhaps its time we stopped listening and took a moment to think about why? 

Lets look at the real threat of Homosexuality toward Christianity. Does it look like homosexuals are ever going to be able to do anything to change Christianity and its core beliefs? 

It certainly doesn’t look like it to me, so why are these people so focused calling out homosexuality? 

I’ll tell you why: 

DISTRACTION.

But why do they want to distract us? Lets look at the reality. 

There are very many serious issues that these super rich Christian organizations could address and actually do something about. 

For instance Child Poverty and Starvation.
Did you know that One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.  (source:http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/present/stats.htm ) 

This is of course a real problem that these super rich Christian Churches could immediately resolve. They have more than enough money to feed these children so why are they not doing it?

Surely that is exactly what Christ would expect them to do? 

In fact they have more than enough cash to make a big difference in the fight against child poverty world wide. This is what Christianity is all about isn’t it?

And there are many other things they could help with too. Providing better and free education, free medical services for those in poverty and so on. The list goes on and on. 
The needs of the less fortunate should be something every true christian aches to fulfill and I always thought that was what Christianity was all about so what is going on here? 

Again the answer seems obvious: 
These kind of Christians are not really interested in what Christ would want them to do, they are only interested in keeping hold of and getting more money.

So they take the focus away from their Satanic selfishness by calling out the homosexual community for living exactly as God (Yes I know he does not exist) intended. They encourage prejudice and manipulate the public focus drawing it well away from their own shortcomings and placing it directly onto the homosexual community.They know they will get called out on this stuff, but that’s the point.. 
While we are all focused on how terrible the things they are saying about one sector of society are we are not focused in how they are totally failing as Christians in the really important areas of society and so we are not calling them out on this

So next time you are unfortunate enough to hear one of these offensive hate speeches instead of calling them out about what they just said try responding with something like this:

“You tell us feel that homosexuals should be ashamed of their behavior, but don’t you feel that, as a leader of a Church that receives millions of dollars of donations every year, you should be ashamed that you have done absolutely nothing to help feed the one out of every eight children in the US who  currently go to bed hungry every day? Do you think Jesus would be proud that you are so focused on hate when you could be saving children’s lives? Why have you done SQUAT about these desperate starving innocents?” 

Do it in person, by letter, in email or any other way you can think of. Write to TV stations and churches and so on. Make the tactic of distraction fail and at the same time help stop the persecution of the gay community while also helping to improve the lives of thousands if not millions of children. 

Perhaps if enough people do this it might eventually change the world for the better or at least shut up these homophobic bigots. 

I must point out that this post is just my opinion and has nothing to do with this website.

Tags: Christians, Homosexuals, distraction, fundamentalist, right, wing

Views: 69

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John Spong makes a very compelling case for Paul's homosexuality in Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism:

"We might consider the hypothesis that Paul may have been a gay male. ... I suggest the possibility that Paul was a homosexual ... nothing else accounts for this data as well as the possibility that Paul was a gay male." (Rescuing the Bible, pp. 116,117)
The Mosaic Law also insists that any man who lies with another man as he does with a woman is to be killed (stoned-to-death, I believe).

This seems to be far more critical of tops than it does of bottoms.
I find it difficult to mistranslate homosexuality is immoral.
I don't disagree that fundamentalist are anti homosexual, I just think they use that as a smokescreen to cover up their anti Christian actions.
I know I posted this twice but it s the same answer to your point too.
very well made points.
I don't feel like it's a distraction. In my opinion, the religious push against homosexuality lately is simply a response to today's society being more accepting of gays than ever before and moving towards legal equality. Before recently, there was nothing to push against because there was no large gay rights movement with this much support. This is not the first time, nor the last time, Christian morals and beliefs will be challenged by a modern society. It always gets ugly. Historically, it got much uglier.

But slaves are free now. Women have rights. Abortion is legal. The Vatican has apologized to Galileo and admitted Darwin was right. Keeping homosexuals from being granted equal rights is one of the last battles Christianity has left to fight, so it will fight to the bitter end. The good news is that it will eventually lose because it always does.

The gay storm is nearly here. They're afraid the church is going to get all wet.

I agree that the church should do more with their wealth. I also agree that their views on homosexuality are wrong. However, I don't see what one has to do with the other. Nothing is preventing them from doing any of the things you mentioned regardless of their views on homosexuality. It's not like they're taking time out from feeding the hungry to hate the gays. Technically, they could multitask and feed the hungry WHILE hating gays.
Keeping homosexuals from being granted equal rights is one of the last battles Christianity has left to fight, so it will fight to the bitter end.

They're still fighting the abortion battle, too. Hell, they haven't even surrendered on women's rights yet either.
Ah yes. Well there's still a chance the entire world will ban abortions. Christians remember those good ole' days back when abortions were illegal and there were zero performed every year.

As an interesting side note, I found this page a while back on the historical abortion views of the church. I'm not sure if it's legit, but I sure hope so. Here's my favorite part...

Theodore, who organized the English church, assembled a penitential about 700 CE. Oral intercourse required from 7 years to a lifetime of penance; an abortion required only 120 days.

BWAH!
I think you've put your finger on it here. Whatever the individual reasons for disliking homosexuality (and I think plenty of people fight it through sheer, good ol' fashioned homophobia), I think a large part of the right-wing thing is a push against the marginalisation of religion.

Theoretically, they could tolerate homosexuality but disallow it within their religion. After all, it's in Leviticus (right next to the bits about slavery and not eating pork). However, to do so would mean admitting that there is another way, so they fight to force everybody to conform to their values.
i failed to mention that I also suspect the vocal leaders of these churches don't believe a word they preach so they dont really care what they talk about so long as it brings in money..
"I agree that the church should do more with their wealth." The fact that they don't is not as news worthy as making controversial statements about homosexuality. They know this.
I may not be totally correct here, but i don't think I am totally wrong either.
Keeping homosexuals from being granted equal rights is one of the last battles Christianity has left to fight, so it will fight to the bitter end.

I agree. I think that a lot--if not most--religions use hatred of "the other" as a means of unification. It's kind of like how high school girls will bond by picking on one lone, ostracized female.

Actually, I'm being unduly harsh on high school girls; plenty of social groups do the same thing. Either way, I think that fervent anti-gay sentiments in a lot of churches serve as a common cause through which parishioners can bond.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service