I feel compelled to point out something very obvious that everybody seems to be missing. 

But lets start at the beginning where every good story should start. In the past few years more and more right wing religious leaders seem to be jumping on the Gay bashing band wagon. These people seem to be getting more and more vocal and more and more media coverage. 

Perhaps its time we stopped listening and took a moment to think about why? 

Lets look at the real threat of Homosexuality toward Christianity. Does it look like homosexuals are ever going to be able to do anything to change Christianity and its core beliefs? 

It certainly doesn’t look like it to me, so why are these people so focused calling out homosexuality? 

I’ll tell you why: 

DISTRACTION.

But why do they want to distract us? Lets look at the reality. 

There are very many serious issues that these super rich Christian organizations could address and actually do something about. 

For instance Child Poverty and Starvation.
Did you know that One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.  (source:http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/present/stats.htm ) 

This is of course a real problem that these super rich Christian Churches could immediately resolve. They have more than enough money to feed these children so why are they not doing it?

Surely that is exactly what Christ would expect them to do? 

In fact they have more than enough cash to make a big difference in the fight against child poverty world wide. This is what Christianity is all about isn’t it?

And there are many other things they could help with too. Providing better and free education, free medical services for those in poverty and so on. The list goes on and on. 
The needs of the less fortunate should be something every true christian aches to fulfill and I always thought that was what Christianity was all about so what is going on here? 

Again the answer seems obvious: 
These kind of Christians are not really interested in what Christ would want them to do, they are only interested in keeping hold of and getting more money.

So they take the focus away from their Satanic selfishness by calling out the homosexual community for living exactly as God (Yes I know he does not exist) intended. They encourage prejudice and manipulate the public focus drawing it well away from their own shortcomings and placing it directly onto the homosexual community.They know they will get called out on this stuff, but that’s the point.. 
While we are all focused on how terrible the things they are saying about one sector of society are we are not focused in how they are totally failing as Christians in the really important areas of society and so we are not calling them out on this

So next time you are unfortunate enough to hear one of these offensive hate speeches instead of calling them out about what they just said try responding with something like this:

“You tell us feel that homosexuals should be ashamed of their behavior, but don’t you feel that, as a leader of a Church that receives millions of dollars of donations every year, you should be ashamed that you have done absolutely nothing to help feed the one out of every eight children in the US who  currently go to bed hungry every day? Do you think Jesus would be proud that you are so focused on hate when you could be saving children’s lives? Why have you done SQUAT about these desperate starving innocents?” 

Do it in person, by letter, in email or any other way you can think of. Write to TV stations and churches and so on. Make the tactic of distraction fail and at the same time help stop the persecution of the gay community while also helping to improve the lives of thousands if not millions of children. 

Perhaps if enough people do this it might eventually change the world for the better or at least shut up these homophobic bigots. 

I must point out that this post is just my opinion and has nothing to do with this website.

Tags: Christians, Homosexuals, distraction, fundamentalist, right, wing

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My father used the term "faggot" once a few years ago. I think I was 19 at the time (I'm 23 now). He uses the word all of the time, but this time I snapped. My definition of snapping means looking him in the eye at the dinner table and asking, "Why do you have to use that word?" (I'm a passive people-pleaser around my dad. I keep the peace). He just exploded. "Because they're fucking disgusting, that's why." etc etc. Since then I don't raise my opinion at all. I can't even watch the news with them.
I'm financially dependent on him for a few more months and then I'll feel like I'm in a position to voice my opinions. Until then it's too risky. Genuinely.
I agree entirely with you though, Keith. When I have a my own place to return to in the evenings I will definitely feel confidant enough to let my dad know how I feel. I just hope it effects his life in some way. He writes off family shockingly easily and I would rather have my father in my life as a bigot than not in my life at all.

I'm sorry for derailing this thread with my middle class bullshit. Thanks for humouring me :)
Middle class enables our oligarchy and the status quo, where the middle class goes, society goes, it's nothing to joke about! :)
Humans are equipped with a wonderful evolutionary mechanism called "mirror neurons (this youtube video explains it nicely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g)". These are very specific neurons which fires when we see someone else experience pain. By hiding our pain from our loved ones, we actually preventing those neurons from firing. Enabling our very own family and friends to spread their bigotry even more effectively. It all it takes is tell a family/friend in gentle non-threating manner their words or actions are hurting you. And nature in due course will take over.
Great video .. nice find. :D
I understand your reasoning especially from a financial point of view. Perhaps you could take a different strategy though. Less confrontational and more conversational. for example IF you tell him how funny and interesting it is that Research by US psychologists suggests that 80 percent of men who are homophobic have secret homosexual feelings he might go quiet on the issue. You could also let him know how Marina Cronin of OutRage! invited homophobic MP's to take the test in order to prove they weren't homosexual. The result was they didn't take the take the test but became far less vocal about their opinions.
With luck the same thing might happen with your Dad.
See the article here
Anyway.. good luck.
Thanks so much for the video, Andries. It was very interesting.
And thanks for the advice and article, Keith. I will definitely try that :) It's been a while since I've stumbled upon a new way to approach this so I think it's definitely time to explore other avenues.
The very first thing i learned as christian is that I'm a sinner. And by sinner, the pastor qualified the word with a very apt definition - "to miss the mark". The second lesson was that even experiencing joy would always be less important than this need to be saved from "missing the mark". So all of this makes so much sense: At the center of christianity is a very real sense of self loathing. And most homophobes have a very similar sense of self loathing. On a broader note. I believe that underlying this loathing of homosexuality is a general loathing of human sexuality.
I haven't been a christian since I was 13 or so (I was the outcast of the family) and of course, homosexuality was taught as being an abomination, a sin, etc.
But my opinion on it stands as far as whether I accept it, and that is NO. That's my preference, my opinion.
Right or wrong can be argued, but I don't agree with it based on my personal preference, and here's why:
It is scientifically proven that men and women is the accepted norm. They can reproduce. They provide the benefits of a father and a mother to their children. It's a complete and natural occurrence evident in all mammals. (No, a dominant and a submissive gay or lesbian couple do not compare to a male/female parental relationship, and leave much to be learned/desired)
Let's say all species were gay...
Besides the inability to reproduce unless "crossing over to the other sex", the roles of male and female will eventually be taken. So then why waste the time? Can't live with females? Can't handle them? Grossed out by pussy? HAHA! Well, that's where choices come in.
I am not homophobic. I am not a christian, muslim, or jew.
I choose to reason as an adult. In 99% of species, heterosexuality is by far the dominant one.....and they don't have religious belief or interference. Therefore, to me it just makes sense. Generally speaking, males and females compliment and balance each other.
As far as sex, yeah I'm a male so sure I wouldn't mind a female being bisexual, but in the end, it's just an experience and would rather focus and dedicate my time to 1 female (or at least 1 at a time)
"It is scientifically proven that men and women is the accepted norm. They can reproduce."
I don't think it is.
If you are going to say something like that you have to provide the evidence. That sounds like something you just invented because while it may me true that sex between men and women is the "natural" way to reproduce, its not the only way. Also Sex is not only for reproduction, also for recreation, or when you make love to a woman do you do so with the sole intention of making a baby? I doubt it.

"They provide the benefits of a father and a mother to their children. " I would question whether that always a good thing any way. I know plenty of so called normal people who simply don't look after their children properly, neglect them and pass on all the their bigotry to their un wanted offspring.

"Let's say all species were gay..."
NO lets not since thats a bullshit argument. Lets say humans use sexual activity for recreation. It doesn't matter what sex they are.
IS love limited by sex? No it isn't.

You say:
"I am not homophobic"
I would question this since all the arguments you make are the same lame nonscientific rubbish we hear from the religious homophobes.

"In 99% of species, heterosexuality is by far the dominant one"
Evidence please or you just made that up.

"I choose to reason as an adult."
But then you obviously chose to stop again.
The accepted norm? Choices???

For someone who chooses to reason as an adult, your argument strikes me as someone who has never heard, or studied past the surface, the arguments in opposition to your case.

You do realize that evolution and study of genes completely negates your entire argument, right? Bonobos and Chimpanzees, our closest cousins, consistently engage in homosexual behavior, as do Dolphins, our smartest animal relative. It is the accepted norm to you because it is anecdotal to your experience, and that is not empirical evidence, nor is it something you should ever base an argument on in an intellectual discussion. Do you know for a fact that heterosexuality is the dominant form of reproduction (This is me setting you up.)? Because the majority of organisms living on this planet reproduce asexually.

As far as benefits of a father and a mother... See the discussion "should gays have access to IVF." That argument has been pwned since it's been brought up.

You may not be homophobic, but you are very ignorant.
That's why I always take first generation ex-religious self proclaimed atheists with a grain of salt. So many people shed the god belief, but persevere with all the BS ideologies that come from it. People trade their belief in god for a belief in pop culture science concocted for mass consumption by media moguls.
It seems logical to me to suggest that heterosexualaity is the norm otherwise surely the human race wouldn't exist. Sex between men and women is the only reason we are here today. Clearly the holy books condemn homosexuality but why religious leaders seem to more focused on it than anything else is a mystery.

RSS

Forum

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim 20 hours ago. 13 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Virgil yesterday. 65 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose yesterday. 71 Replies

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service