I feel compelled to point out something very obvious that everybody seems to be missing. 

But lets start at the beginning where every good story should start. In the past few years more and more right wing religious leaders seem to be jumping on the Gay bashing band wagon. These people seem to be getting more and more vocal and more and more media coverage. 

Perhaps its time we stopped listening and took a moment to think about why? 

Lets look at the real threat of Homosexuality toward Christianity. Does it look like homosexuals are ever going to be able to do anything to change Christianity and its core beliefs? 

It certainly doesn’t look like it to me, so why are these people so focused calling out homosexuality? 

I’ll tell you why: 

DISTRACTION.

But why do they want to distract us? Lets look at the reality. 

There are very many serious issues that these super rich Christian organizations could address and actually do something about. 

For instance Child Poverty and Starvation.
Did you know that One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.  (source:http://library.thinkquest.org/C002291/high/present/stats.htm ) 

This is of course a real problem that these super rich Christian Churches could immediately resolve. They have more than enough money to feed these children so why are they not doing it?

Surely that is exactly what Christ would expect them to do? 

In fact they have more than enough cash to make a big difference in the fight against child poverty world wide. This is what Christianity is all about isn’t it?

And there are many other things they could help with too. Providing better and free education, free medical services for those in poverty and so on. The list goes on and on. 
The needs of the less fortunate should be something every true christian aches to fulfill and I always thought that was what Christianity was all about so what is going on here? 

Again the answer seems obvious: 
These kind of Christians are not really interested in what Christ would want them to do, they are only interested in keeping hold of and getting more money.

So they take the focus away from their Satanic selfishness by calling out the homosexual community for living exactly as God (Yes I know he does not exist) intended. They encourage prejudice and manipulate the public focus drawing it well away from their own shortcomings and placing it directly onto the homosexual community.They know they will get called out on this stuff, but that’s the point.. 
While we are all focused on how terrible the things they are saying about one sector of society are we are not focused in how they are totally failing as Christians in the really important areas of society and so we are not calling them out on this

So next time you are unfortunate enough to hear one of these offensive hate speeches instead of calling them out about what they just said try responding with something like this:

“You tell us feel that homosexuals should be ashamed of their behavior, but don’t you feel that, as a leader of a Church that receives millions of dollars of donations every year, you should be ashamed that you have done absolutely nothing to help feed the one out of every eight children in the US who  currently go to bed hungry every day? Do you think Jesus would be proud that you are so focused on hate when you could be saving children’s lives? Why have you done SQUAT about these desperate starving innocents?” 

Do it in person, by letter, in email or any other way you can think of. Write to TV stations and churches and so on. Make the tactic of distraction fail and at the same time help stop the persecution of the gay community while also helping to improve the lives of thousands if not millions of children. 

Perhaps if enough people do this it might eventually change the world for the better or at least shut up these homophobic bigots. 

I must point out that this post is just my opinion and has nothing to do with this website.

Tags: Christians, Homosexuals, distraction, fundamentalist, right, wing

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Similarly to ... facing an enemy life form on another planet would unite humanity here on earth...?
The bible clearly condemns it. Leviticus is one example but many homosexual christians refuse to accept it for some reason. Which simply proves they cherry pick the laws in the bible to suit their own needs.
Are there any religions that embrace homosexuality?
It has seemed to me that Bhuddist and Hindi societies are the roughest when it comes to "moral rectitude", making them the oddest examples of contrarity between faith and real life...
I think its only bible based religion that is anti homosexual. The Ancient Romans seemed to be fine with it, as did the Ancient Greeks. The Spartans had an entire society built around homosexuality. Marriage to a woman was only for reproduction. It appears that until the advent of the old testament there was not even a word for homosexuality. Only a world for who was dominant (penetrating).
I wish I had a better memory and knew more history. These issues regarding sexuality are not really taught in school but they are in the history books if you care to look for them.
I'm not surprised by that in the least. My upbringing was in a "liberal Catholic" society, and in truth, I had never heard of homophobia until adulhood. As my sexual life began, many of the guys I met (I was quite promiscuous even early on) had at least considered gay sex or had tried it, and surprisingly many others I met were "in-between", not knowing for sure where they stood (laid).
I just had a revelation. There really is no such a thing as homophobes. Homophobia would be a disdain for same sex relations. I've yet to come across a "homophobe" that does not discriminate against transsexuals (who may or may not be gay) or bisexuals. Therefore, since all would fall into the category of "those" people, homophobes can only simply be described as bigots. (I may have just overstepped the line into self-righteous blather. At least I amuse myself.)
I agree though. Pretty much every homophobe I've met are anti lesbians, gays, transgenders, crossdressers, intersex, queers etc. They're only pro heterosexuals. They're hetero-normative, or whatever you want to call it. It's a fear or hatred of anything that isn't exactly like them.
They're "Hard" for homosexuality?? Oooh! Didn't expect that!
lol i wondered if anybody would notice that...
I've read this whole thread and I don't know how relevant this is, but I need to get this rant out onto the interwebs somehow before I lose my mind.

I always used to think that my father and stepmom were moderate Christians. My dad once told me he thought that the Garden of Eden story was only meant to be allegorical, so I know he believes in Evolution and knows that the universe is rationally billions of years old. My stepmother seems to be a young Earth Creationist. The other day it was their turn to host their church's weekly prayer group meeting thing and I overheard them bashing gay people. They were saying things like, "It's okay to be gay, so long as you don't practice it or live in sin, then you can still be saved."
"I don't have a problem with gay people, I have a problem with the gayness."
My dad himself explicitly said that that was quite clearly one of the few things in the Bible for which there was no gray area at all.
Also, it is Pink Pride week at the University of Cape Town and a pink closet was set up on campus on which people could write pro-gay messages and testimonies anonymously. Within 12 hours it had it's doors ripped off and was burnt to the ground. This made it into the local newspapers and my stepmom read the headline to my dad in the kitchen and his immediate reply was, "Good."

I'm shocked at this blatant, unthinking, unjustifiable bigotry. As a heterosexual atheist who has soberly explored her sexuality I can't make heads or tales of this. I always used to know that the moderates were dangerous because they paved the way for the extremists, but a part of me has always wrestled with the idea that moderate believers just put petrol in their car, drive their kids to school, and fetch milk on the way home, like any hardworking, decent person. But this has shaken me to my core.

These are not moderate views. This is extremist, fundamentalist, irrational bigotry. The only difference between "moderates" and "genuine extremists" is that moderates talks about persecuting homosexuals whereas extremists actually persecute homosexuals. In a country where the corrective rape of lesbians is practically a sport, that anyone can so openly condone these actions is sordid and makes me sick to my stomach.
"These are not moderate views. This is extremist, fundamentalist, irrational bigotry."
Perhaps its time you old them this. If any member of my family behaved in this way I would cease speaking to them immediately and let them know in no uncertain terms why.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 minutes ago. 32 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Noel 2 hours ago. 9 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 8 hours ago. 64 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 15 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service