Ok, first off check this out:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/republicans-out-democrat-w...

A republican politician claims that playing world of warcraft makes his democrat opponent unfit for public office.

Now I'm a gamer and I have been sneered at for "living in a fantasy world" and all that sort of thing, often by religious people.

You know, it's funny to think that while a republican is saying a democrat is unfit for office because she plays a game featuring orcs, dragons, wizards and elves that she does not believe actually exist Willard Romney is running for president while honestly believing in magic underwear that stops bullets and poison, also he believes in a super powerful alien god from the planet kolob and that people can become space gods if they don't drink caffeine and give money to the mormon church.

Gamers get looked down on a lot. Israel won't let people who are into D&D advance in it's military, regarding it as a sign of weak character. Gamers are accused of a lot of things, portrayed negatively on TV, lumpoed in with that psychopath rod farrel, etc.

Now the vast majority of gamers don't literally believe that vampires, orcs, zombies, wizards, dragons, etc actually exist, we just like games using them as characters.

But religious people really, honestly believe in talking serpents, women turning into pillars of salt, rivers turning into blood, that it's righteous to go into a land and murder the inhabitants because voices in someone's head allegedly told them to, talking burning bushes, people being raised from the dead, etc.

They profess to literally believe all that, but they're Ok and gamers who enjoy but do not believe orcs, dragons and wizards exist are somehow defective?

Seriously, WTF is this BS and why do we tolerate it?

Views: 557

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Because religious people are in control.

Yeah, it's all about numbers. Sixteen million firmly grounded in reality versus possibly 150 million who play "Sky Fairy where art' thou?"

"You know, it's funny to think that while a republican is saying a democrat is unfit for office because she plays a game featuring orcs, dragons, wizards and elves that she does not believe actually exist Willard Romney is running for president while honestly believing in magic underwear that stops bullets and poison, also he believes in a super powerful alien god from the planet kolob and that people can become space gods if they don't drink caffeine and give money to the mormon church."

Do you think that the DNC should be told this, to prevent an invasion? LOL

This is not actually a contradiction--at least not on their part.  It may be stupid, but it is not a contradiction.

It is because the religious right believes this stuff exists that they think a gamer is unfit for office, and just generally unfit to be in society.  Because, by their logic whether you know it or not by playing these games you are consorting with these sorts of evil beings--and make no mistake even the "lawful good" ones are evil in their eyes; "false gods" and the like.  To them these games are basically stealth satanic rituals.

Basically as far as they are concerned these creatures are as real and as evil as Nazis.  And so they feel and think the same things you do if it turned out a candidate for office liked to dress up and roleplay Hitler.

Not contradictory, but definitely ironic.

As for why the great mass of not very religious people will take the religionists' side in this, it's likely a combination of our societal taboo against criticizing peoples' religions, a feeling that perhaps the games are kids stuff and you really ought to grow up, and perhaps its the fact that they themselves are religious and really cannot, at a fundamental level, criticize this sort of thinking because they share it themselves.

Here's a different take on it by a religious nut. A close member of my family thinks that I am opening myself up to demons by playing Skyrim, Dragonage, and the like.  She says that when I play these games my belief (as she sees it) in my character is a denial of god and an acceptance of all that is evil!  I tell her that usually I'm fighting evil in the games, but she says that the devil is hoodwinking me and that I am in his clutches.

Hail Satan! Yahweh is the only evil I can think of in the bible.

We see nutty people, sorry. Does she watch day time soap operas, or just the 700 club/cult?

I wonder what she would say about people that study nature, or play chess?

Because there is more of them than there is of us.

they are just jealous of our amazing hand eye coordination

They see what you do as a game. They take religion more seriously.

i find this really ridiculous to exclude someone from a job because of what he does in his spare time .. it doesn't matter if i prefer to game, read, jog, or even do nothing at all ataring at the blank wall all day as long as the job is done.

since when did hobbies really matter in job interviews ??

Lol, without my glasses I thought it said "Why are Germans looked down on.... "

Anyways, as to the subject of gaming, it's mostly because republicans are conservative and they simply do not understand the subject at all. Nothing more to it, conservatives have a tendency to think that what wasn't around when they were 35 is absolutely unnecessary and possibly dangerous. 

I'm sure that 10 years ago they would've said that she was a dangerous sociopath if they found out she was playing videogames. Society changes over time, the conservatives just take longer to accept that.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 12 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service