I think we can all agree he most likely wasn't the son of God.
I'm reading C.S. Lewis now, and his claim that Jesus was "Lord, Liar or Lunatic" seems like a false dilemma. Couldn't he be deluded, and honestly think he was because his followers insisted? Is there historical evidence he ever claimed to be God in the first place?

Posts about your opinion on Jesus's legitimacy/character as well as reading material on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Tags: c.s., dilemma, false, jesus, lewis, liar, lord, lunatic, trichotomy

Views: 705

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@RobertPiano: Agreed, those things are pretty looney!

Another alternative to the false trilemma of CS Lewis's is... Legend.  Made up in whole or in part after the fact.  (Any part not made up would be a perfectly normal hominid.)

I typed out a rather elaborate response to this question guised in the form of Perennial Philosophy, which I'll link here if anyone's interested.

I love the irony in the contrasting possibilities for Jesus.  Either he was the son of God, and the meekest and humblest being ever to walk the earth; or he was some guy claiming to be the Son of God - perhaps the least meek and humble claim a man can possibly make...

Jesus is Mithra's little brother.

This just in Jesus's Dad hates doves.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Torture Works

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Unseen 17 minutes ago. 39 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.