Hi folks,

I should say at the start that I am a christian, but don't hold it against me!  I am always interested in what other people think, and enjoing reading the posts on this website.  So i'd like to throw some questions out to get more insight into atheism.  Your help is appreciated.

Qn:  If there were two universes, one with a God, and the other without, which one would you want to live in and why?

Qn:  If scientific theory began to support theism (more than atheism) would you change your position

(like Antony Flew)?

Try really hard to avoid answers like: 'that would never happen.. etc.'

Qn:  Would you describe your position as "There definitely is no God"  or "Naturalism does not need a divine being and so God is improbable" or something else?

All respectful discussion welcome!

Tags: Belief, God, in

Views: 2024

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But you have to read that in context! There has to be a context in which slaughtering people for not believing in Jesus is the right and moral thing

steve.. if you are going to tell me that in any contect it is right and moral to slaughter a 9 year olf then you should come tell me that in person.. while my son who is 9 is standing there.. i will let him watch as i shit kick ur ass ;).. teach him real morals haha

What logical context could there POSSIBLY be where slaughtering someone for not believing in "Jesus" is right and moral?!?!

I am sure Steve using sarcasm to show how some deluded Christians might still fail to get the point!!

He clearly was.  Someone advocating the position wouldn't likely use the word "Slaughtering"

Yeah, the internet is bad at conveying emotions. But I guess it's another proof for Poe's Law

Qn:  If there were two universes, one with a God, and the other without, which one would you want to live in and why?

Humm, one God... since I was a muslim... I use to think that monotheism is more logical than other religions...

if there are 2  universes, one with a God, and the other without.. I'll live in the one without...

and why? because I wanna have my peace of mind.....

I dont like to see those followers of Abraham killing each other..

See, what God did to Palestine...the descendants of Ismail and the descendants of Isaac are killing each other in the Holy land! that's what I really really hate!

Qn:  If scientific theory began to support theism (more than atheism) would you change your position

(like Antony Flew)?

If scientific theory began to support theism I'll change my position... but wait! what kind of  theism? you mean christianity?... I respect christianity after all :) but I think deism well be a good option if I find a scientific theory that support the existence of God. like Voltaire :)

Qn:  Would you describe your position as "There definitely is no God"  or "Naturalism does not need a divine being and so God is improbable" or something else?

It is difficult to know or to be certain of the existence of God or even his non-existence!

God didnt leave us enough evidence.. I am agnostic.. this is my position.

That would of course depend on which 'God' decided to show up. If we are talking about a Christian God...is it the fire and brimstone God of the Old Testament or the God of 'peace' that the New Testament? Also one of the largest problems I have with God are the hypocritically actions undertaken on his behalf - So in the Godless universe..do people still believe in God regardless of the fact that he does not exist? In the same line of thought - Do people distrust God knowing that he exists and that the Universe is still so flawed?    I think it is not God but man who make the Universe livable. So I would choose to live in the Universe with the MOST RATIONAL INHABITANTS. 

(like Antony Flew)?

I would if it was provable. Unequivocally...but that doesn't mean I would like it.

The various laws by which God exists in each religion are so contradictory that even if religious texts are true they render God impossible to exist as depicted - coupled with the lack of evidence for God we must simply assume he does not exist.

That would depend on which version of God, presumably the Christian one, you mean. Do you mean the vengeful one or the forgiving one? I would only want to live in the universe with a god if he was how i believe the ideal Christian God would be. To me the ideal God would be not caught up in if people believe in him/her, they would rather have people do good in the world and help each. Rather then condemn someone simply for not bowing to his ego. The reason I would select this universe is because assuming there is a God that would mean there would be Heaven and Hell. Obiviously the existance of heaven is a good thing assuming your get in by being a good person and not just killing or hurting people for selfish reasons ect.

Qn:  If scientific theory began to support theism (more than atheism) would you change your position                (like Antony Flew)?

If that were the case then yes I would support theism. I do not believe in God because there is more evidence, from what I have observed or researched, leading to the conclusion that an all powerful such as this does not exist. However if this was somehow to be changed and scientific theory began to support theism then it would only make sense to believe in a God.

The way I see it is there more then likely is not, or ever was ever a God. My favourite way to see it is I think of "God" as the Big Bang. The Big Bang is the moment that gave our universe the ability to have life, thereby creating all life and everything that is existence today. If there was a God that created all things, it would be the big bang and god is in everything. "God" is life and existence itself.

SNAP.

Snap indeed.

If the god in question behaved in the way that Christians believe he is acting in this universe, I'd have to say "What's the difference? He never helps."  Ultimately I'd have to agree with other atheists on this board. I don't really want a god who created me and can see everything, and that whole ineffable judgement thing...Don't get me started. Christianity was a confusing thing for me since age 5 and it took me 23 years to get the stones to leave it.

(like Antony Flew)?

I wouldn't change my position even if the creator kicked me in the shin himself. To quote Terry Pratchett's Granny Weatherwax "I don't go around believing in gods. It only encourages them." If there is a god, I'm not about to start praising him, just like I don't spend my days praising numerous inventors who have made my modern life what it is.

My position is that I don't believe in a god, but if I were proven wrong I don't believe in divine worship. If any religion so far has been right, then the gods are madmen.

RSS

Events

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service