Friends of the folks from the neighborhood came over this weekend, to swim, share food, talk up a storm and generally be the kind of folks you find in a neighborhood.

There's a neighbor who's about to be a third-time father and he looks to be no older than 26.  She looks a little older, but not much.  In my assholiness, I push the point and refer to her having her third child by 25, so she must be a quiverfull looney.  They don't laugh.  He explains, with scripture, that they are indeed breeding god's army.  There will come a day when his kids will lead the chosen to kill me and my kind.  My kind being rational people.

So I did the only reasonable thing I could.  I said nothing.  

Nope, that's not what I did.  I said.  "Dude, I'm an atheist and you're an idiot.  Do you believe in dragons and faeries and leprechauns as well?"  He looked at me like the idea of equating his magical space being with a short, green, comically-dressed mick was silly... and I should feel silly for suggesting it.

I tried to point out that there have been thousands of times as many species before the ones we know of today, and that implies an old earth... His answer was that everybody knows deep down that they're "from GOD" but some of us pretend to be atheists. Get that: atheists are not really atheists, because deep down we love god..."

I  have no plans to 'convert' them... but Mom thinks they're so cool.  Twenty somethings who listen to her!  Mom, they're fucking retarded!  My non-retarded friends have been listening to you for decades!

Just venting, I'll let you know when it all blows up.

Views: 1510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

40-55 years after the alleged event said so

I still can't wrap my head around the idea that the Roman Empire didn't bother to record that they managed to stamp out a religious uprising in a part of their empire by capturing and crucifying the leader who claimed to be a god.

I concur. It's as if the entire Roman Empire had no idea the son of doG was born and living in their midst.

Even tho the Romans managed to record pretty much everything else of note the was occurring...hmmm...makes one question the validity of those biblical claims, doesn't it?

UPDATE to the UPDATE:  The dad in this loony family just invited me over for lunch.  Apparently being a nice guy means I'm not really an atheist and maybe I can change stripes if he tries hard enough.  That has to be a helluva great Christian scout badge - the "Converted a heathen" badge.  Probably worth a table closer to Jesus in the afterlife.

In any case, I'm not really an atheist.  According to him, there are no atheists.  We all know and feel god's love and some of us pretend that we don't.  I asked him how that works out for a billion or so Hindus, he just put on the [STARE].  Like I made up a whole language and he didn't understand it...

Not gonna do lunch with crazy.  I feel like playing Fallout 3, it's more realistic.

According to him, there are no atheists.  We all know and feel god's love and some of us pretend that we don't.

Just give him one of these.

The funny thing is, hes about to be outnumbered in his own house.  He has a 3-year old daughter and a 1-year old son, and his wife is about to carf up a whole new larva next week. With the new baby, that's 3 souls too young and uncomplicated to understand things like souls and salvation.  They aren't christian.  They might correctly be called Berensteins or Seusicles, but they ain't christians.  Non-christians 3, christians 2.  Release the lions.

He has a 3-year old daughter and a 1-year old son, and his wife is about to carf up a whole new larva next week. With the new baby, that's 3 souls too young and uncomplicated to understand things like souls and salvation.

That's 3 minds ripe for the picking for them though. Too young to understand souls and salvation, but young enough to understand fear and hell and to believe everything mommy and daddy say without question.

"We all know and feel god's love and some of us pretend that we don't." - actually, this is spot-on.  Where he falls down slightly is "breeding an army of child soldiers to assassinate the unbelievers." 

SLIGHTLY???????????????

Yup, slightly.  I think it's not assassination if it's regarding unbelievers; it's extermination.  At least that's what I've gathered from the more militant fundies that I've encountered.

I' just enjoying the debate over the intended message of a fictional character within the context of the specific fictional work.  It kind of reminds me of when I worked at a hobby shop and listened to two guys quote Lord Of The Rings to argue whether or not Sam and Frodo were lovers.

Jesus fandom!

Thank you. I've never thought of it that way before.

JFC - Jesus f*cking fandom, Christ!

1. where there is fandom, there is slash:

JC/John the Baptist (age fetish)

JC/Paul (possibly a bit of bdsm: JC as dom, Paul as sub)

JC/Judas (the forbidden love, bursting with paragraph after paragraph of "angst")

2. where there is fandom there is crossover:

JC/Siddhārta Gautama (an intellectual, ascetic love saga in which the two characters fall in love while debating philosophy)

JC/Zarathustra (A PWP, Titled: They Will Cum Again and Again)

JC/Santa Clause (another PWP, Titled: Judging the Naughty List)

JC/Harry Potter (Action/adventure, Subtitle: the boy who lived vs. the man who lived)

where there is fandom, there is Slash

I think he played guitar for Guns and Roses. :)

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service