Even though I am English, I still take an interest in American politics. At the moment, I am despairing that all the main players in this election all seem to be anti-gay and anti-abortion. It sickens me that we live in a world where, despite everything, all people are not equal and two millenia old superstitions still have a tight grip in politics. So here is my question:

As an atheist, who do you want as president?

Tags: 2012, GOP, america, bachmann, candidates, election, gingrich, huntsman, paul, perry, More…policies, politics, president, romney, santorum

Views: 1457

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Watching it from The Netherlands it strikes me that the politicians in America stopped listening to each other's views and seeing any value in them, now they are just in a dogmatic screaming match as the American Empire crumbles under the weight of internal greed and corruption. 

Obama : A liar. Failed to close Gitmo, failed to stop the use of torture, failed to stop the use of rendition, expanded the kidnapping of people, vastly expanded the use of extra judicial killings, made Bush's attacks on the very fine US constitution look like small potatoes. Failed to pursue corrupt and reckless bankers through the courts, has left the CDS situation festering, failed to kill off zombie banks. Continued to help the rich get richer while doing nothing more than cosmetic changes to the situation of the poor. Extended the use of torture to his own citizens leads Harvard law professors to write a letter describing Obama as an "embarrassment". His promotion of of laws to protect whistle blowers while at the same time harassing, arresting, imprisoning whistle blowers marks him out very clearly as a hypocrite. The list of international conventions and agreements that the USA is now absenting itself from or simply disregarding would need an entirely separate post. Under his rule the state security apparatus has been the big growth area in employment, about the only growth area.

Bachman : madder than a sack full of rabid weasels, a homophobic religous zealot who cannot see that her own husband is a raving arse bandit. My ten year old knows more about America and your laws and constitution then she does !

Gingrich : An amoral misogynist who has spent his entire life enriching himself and acting like the playground bully. Another hypocrite using "god fearing" as a vote getter, uggghhh !  Married three times and admitted to having an affair with his current wife while still married to the second, a serial adulterer, who conducted affairs with staffers while one wife was dying of cancer. He has been involved in several corruption scandals and his ties with Freddie Mac make him one of the key figures in the tornado of greed that has brought the worlds finances to its knees.

Rick Perry: As governor of Texas he presided over a state with the highest number of uninsured workers, a  near doubling of the state's  budget deficit to nearly $30 billion while giving away some $700 million to businesses, many of whom he had links to or were campaign fun contributors. He passed a law making HPV vaccination compulsory for girls while owning shares in the vaccine makers and knowing that the drug trial results for the vaccines had covered up their ineffectiveness and safety concerns.

Jon Huntsman : A Mormon - are you freaking crazy ?

Ron Paul : At least this guys does have a brain, he knows your constitution and he looks like the only one who actually has a human heart beating in his chest, unfortunately his age would suggest that it may not beat long enough to see out a term. His warnings about the Patriot Act went ignored, his warnings about the wars went ignored. Perhaps his failing as far as americans are concerned is that he is often right, people really hate that.

All things considered given the choices available I think the next president will merely continue Americas slide, but I really do hope that at least America will get one who will keep the rate of slide to a minimum. Sadly I suspect that it is no longer the president or congress that matters, it is who the bankers and corporations want that counts. I reckon the net result will be further erosion of rights of protest, more criminalisation of any activity that might impact business income streams (thinking of Protect IP Act), increasing control of the media and more controls of freedom of movement (TSA checkpoints etc). Naturally I expect we will see another nation deamonised soon as it is clear that American forgiven policy requires an external bogie man, Iran is custom made for this role, so who the next president is they will ramp up the war talk.

In summary, you could stick Kermit the frog into the Whitehouse because it will make no difference, the American people may as well bend over, grab their ankles and have a tube of lube handy.

Nina van der Roos

Agreed. Though I laughed myself silly when I read "raving arse bandit" XD

Hey Nina,

This is a great post that Americans need to read and take very seriously. Do some research, start googling and learn just how much of a lie "neo liberal western democracy" really is. 

Watching it from The Netherlands it strikes me that the politicians in America stopped listening to each other's views and seeing any value in them, now they are just in a dogmatic screaming match as the American Empire crumbles under the weight of internal greed and corruption.

Yep, and so few Americans even realize that this is happening. The sophistication and ruthless effect of the propaganda machine here is astonishing. It’s like we’re living out 1984.

Obama : A liar. Failed to close Gitmo, failed to stop the use of torture, failed to stop the use of rendition, expanded the kidnapping of people, vastly expanded the use of extra judicial killings, made Bush's attacks on the very fine US constitution look like small potatoes. Failed to pursue corrupt and reckless bankers through the courts, has left the CDS situation festering, failed to kill off zombie banks. Continued to help the rich get richer while doing nothing more than cosmetic changes to the situation of the poor. Extended the use of torture to his own citizens leads Harvard law professors to write a letter describing Obama as an "embarrassment". His promotion of of laws to protect whistle blowers while at the same time harassing, arresting, imprisoning whistle blowers marks him out very clearly as a hypocrite. The list of international conventions and agreements that the USA is now absenting itself from or simply disregarding would need an entirely separate post. Under his rule the state security apparatus has been the big growth area in employment, about the only growth area.

This man is a first class stage act. See my summary.

Bachman : madder than a sack full of rabid weasels, a homophobic religous zealot who cannot see that her own husband is a raving arse bandit. My ten year old knows more about America and your laws and constitution then she does !

See my summary.

Gingrich : An amoral misogynist who has spent his entire life enriching himself and acting like the playground bully. Another hypocrite using "god fearing" as a vote getter, uggghhh ! Married three times and admitted to having an affair with his current wife while still married to the second, a serial adulterer, who conducted affairs with staffers while one wife was dying of cancer. He has been involved in several corruption scandals and his ties with Freddie Mac make him one of the key figures in the tornado of greed that has brought the worlds finances to its knees.

If it were just polyamory I would see no issue … except that this and his professed belief makes him the most vile of hypocrites and exposes a complete absence of integrity. That is what makes him absolutely unacceptable to me. If he has no integrity in his personal life he will have none in his public life.

Rick Perry: As governor of Texas he presided over a state with the highest number of uninsured workers, a near doubling of the state's budget deficit to nearly $30 billion while giving away some $700 million to businesses, many of whom he had links to or were campaign fun contributors. He passed a law making HPV vaccination compulsory for girls while owning shares in the vaccine makers and knowing that the drug trial results for the vaccines had covered up their ineffectiveness and safety concerns.

Yes! Thank you. This corruption you mention in which politicians enforce insanity on the population for their own personal, financial gain is rampant right now and most Americans are blissfully ignorant of it.

Jon Huntsman : A Mormon - are you freaking crazy ?

omg.

Ron Paul : At least this guys does have a brain, he knows your constitution and he looks like the only one who actually has a human heart beating in his chest, unfortunately his age would suggest that it may not beat long enough to see out a term. His warnings about the Patriot Act went ignored, his warnings about the wars went ignored. Perhaps his failing as far as americans are concerned is that he is often right, people really hate that.

Good points.

Sadly I suspect that it is no longer the president or congress that matters, it is who the bankers and corporations want that counts.

And that is where my summary comes in. Another thing that Americans *still* do not get, even after all this time and how stupendously blatant it really is, is that all of these candidates are stage stooges used by those that are in control to continue the confusion and disorientation of the American public. It is a freak show and it does not matter which one you vote for. You will get the same thing with all of them. That Americans still don’t get this and continue to justify and prevaricate over it is amazing. Another testament to how brainwashed they are. And to be clear, I mean *most* Americans, not all.

Naturally I expect we will see another nation deamonised soon as it is clear that American forgiven policy requires an external bogie man, Iran is custom made for this role, so who the next president is they will ramp up the war talk.

Yep, the war drums are cranking up and Obama’s controllers really want a war now. Follow the talk at the CFR and you’ll know where U.S. policy is going near term. You won’t get any idea of it by listening to the stage clowns. The controllers speak if you just know where to listen.

In summary, you could stick Kermit the frog into the Whitehouse because it will make no difference, the American people may as well bend over, grab their ankles and have a tube of lube handy

egggzzzzacctlly.

This is one of the best posts I’ve seen at TA, sans pareil. Thank you,

-          kk

Thank you Kir. 

Obama has continued the full out assault on the constitution that started under W.  His latest signing of the indefinite detention bill is just the latest example.

I don't blame him for not closing Gitmo, that was congress stopping him.  Nobody forced him to sign that legislation however.  I would not blame him if he vetoed the bill and the veto was over ridden by Congress.  I would blame the 'liberal' democrats in congress for that.

He extended the Bush tax cuts.  He said he would get his comfortable shoes on to march with labor when their rights were threatened.  I don't remember the CNN pictures of him in Wisconsin at any time last winter.

He has lied, and while I have absolutely nothing against homosexual marriage and gays in the military.  I whole heartedly endorse both policies.  That has been the sum total of his 'progressive' agenda as president.  Please don't bring up the Health Insurers Welfare Act, otherwise known as health care reform as a progressive milestone.  As far as I know the law says the health insurers have to provide insurance, there is nothing that says how much they charge for that insurance. Which means they can price anyone out of the program that they don't want in.

His middle class tax cut?  That will be referred to historically as the beginning of the defunding of Social Security which is what gave the Republicans of the very near future the argument they need to eliminate it completely.

"Jon Huntsman : A Mormon - are you freaking crazy ?"

Very, very bad argument. He locks his Mormonism inside his own house and don't bother others with it. Apart from his religious views he's fairly sane, at least by comparison. Whatever people practice between the comfort of their own 4 walls should should not have any bearing on whether or not you vote for them. The same argument could be said if he was gay/jewish/french speaking/etc. 

"Ron Paul : At least this guys does have a brain"

A zealot who's policies is to the US what Al-Nour's is to Egypt? I object to the claim of him having a brain, at least I demand MRI scans as evidence, otherwise my assumption is that it's not the case. A decent summary: Which Is Creepier: President Santorum or President Paul?

His only saving grace would be that Americans would be high as kites when civilization crumbled and the state sanctioned death squads marched..

Very astute analysis. The sad reality is that the only sane candidate Jon Huntsman seems to have no chance..

(emphasis added)

"Jon Huntsman : A Mormon - are you freaking crazy ?"

Very, very bad argument. He locks his Mormonism inside his own house and don't bother others with it. Apart from his religious views he's fairly sane, at least by comparison. Whatever people practice between the comfort of their own 4 walls should should not have any bearing on whether or not you vote for them. The same argument could be said if he was gay/jewish/french speaking/etc.

Not true.  Being Gay is not a choice; religion is.  The ability to speak french does not hold inherent moral/political views; religion does.

Then try the Jewish angle and attempt to get through the argument without sounding anti-semitic.

The point is that to a number of religious people their religion is not "choice", much like being black or gay or [insert minority here] is not a "choice" either. If Huntsman or Romney had used their mormonism to demand policy change to that effect it would be an argument. I have not read anything about that being the case, thus their religious views are a moot point. Compare and contrast to the religious zealotry of Bachman/Santorum/Bush III Perry, and the ideological zealotry of Paul if you will.

We don't even waterboard anymore. And frankly, Gitmo shouldn't be closed. We have a bunch of thuggish Taliban/Al Qaeda and we can't simply release them back to killing more innocent civilians. And the use of drones is an excellent method in using technology in killing the most heinous of terrorists. It seems like you don't understand the threats we face from a people who want to end civilization.

Re. Nina's comment: This is what turns people off about the far left: hyperbole, borderline-conspiracy-theory ranting, and ad hominem demonization. The sad part is that there are real, valid, fair, and very serious criticisms to be made about these candidates.

The current president is not a liar. He did not promise results on every front. He is still working on many things and has been thwarted on others (by the do-nothing Congress, by the realities and limitations of the executive branch, by changing events and the passage of time, etc.). Everything that the United States government does cannot be attributed solely to this, or any, president. The executive is not a king, dictator, or even (contrary to common perception) the leader of the nation. The president is in charge of one branch of the government, with limited powers. He can use his prominence and influence to great effect, but even that has its limits.

Hey Stutz,

borderline-conspiracy-theory ranting

Actually, I think it is more of an ad hominen approach when someone obliquely accuses someone of being a conspiracist, which is exactly the impression I got when I read that.

The current president is not a liar

Demonstrably false. Google and note the mainstream outlets reporting on an innumerable flood of lies from that man.

He did not promise results on every front.

No, just on several. He would have to be pretty simple-minded to make promises of advances on every single issue known to humankind.

As for the remainder of your post, there is great effort there to point out the ineptitude of "democracy", or the executive branch, but then the argument goes on to suggest that if someone says that none of these candidates, if elected, would really be in control of anything, and are having their strings pulled by someone else, that they are engaged in a conspiracy rant.

I think the ideas presented in that post are internally inconsistent and logically invalid.

- kk

- kk

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service