Even though I am English, I still take an interest in American politics. At the moment, I am despairing that all the main players in this election all seem to be anti-gay and anti-abortion. It sickens me that we live in a world where, despite everything, all people are not equal and two millenia old superstitions still have a tight grip in politics. So here is my question:

As an atheist, who do you want as president?

Views: 1598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What evidence do you have that the Founding Fathers "knew" slavery was wrong? Where is the memo or letter or even quotation that says, in essence, "We know slavery is wrong, but we don't give a f*ck"?

Oh, idunno, maybe...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

"Of course handing out blanket purposely laced with small pox didn't help at all."

This has never been demonstrated as a factual fact and is no more than conjecture and propaganda. I have yet to see real evidence to demonstrate this.

And I agree, the extreme right has some ignorants but even among the right, the hard right is becoming less and less of a factor every 4-years. I will give you the fact that the hard right is anti-gay but I wouldn't go so far as to say "they fight against equal rights for women". That is ridiculous.

In addition, we were much less violent towards the Native Americans than the Spaniards or "later Mexicans" were. Over 90% of the Native American population died not through genocide, but through European disease as the Native American population had never built the antibodies necessary for these diseases since they had not come into contact with western civilization prior to that point in history.

You keep repeating this, and I don't understand why. So what?  Just because spaniards killed more indians than we did in north america, means this country was not founded on genocide?

It's a complete non-sequitur.

It is to emphasize the selective bias some people have towards the United States and western civilization in general. These same types of people hold their biases due to such brainwashed propaganda when it comes to other issues which effect our population (namely, illegal immigration).

What propaganda has brainwashed us to think that the US wiped out Indians across the country?

How do you get from killing Indians to illegal immigration?

Indeed. I've taken Native American Anthropology on the university level, and one thing I learned was that the notion that NA's in general were these peace-loving, spiritual people whose placid lifestyle was taken from them by white invaders glosses over the fact that NA's did that to each other as well. It wasn't all rainbows and roses before the whites showed up. Oh, and BTW, there was a buffalo cult that was on the way to wiping out buffalo just for their skins (leaving the flesh to rot) before the whites got into shooting buffalo merely for sport. Many of the things said about the whites are about as racist as some of the things said about NA's.

And yet another non-sequitur.  None of this excuses how they were treated by European-Americans.

And where did I "excuse" it? YOU are guilty of non sequitur via jumping to conclusions. I pointed out that both sides were imperfect basically, but YOU took the step of drawing the conclusion I was saying it excused whites.

The original claim was that the US was founded on genocide.  Your post offers nothing against this claim, thus it is a non-sequitur.

@erik112358  The original claim was that the US was founded on genocide.  Your post offers nothing against this claim, thus it is a non-sequitur.

Then chalk it up to information.

The "Noble Savage" :P

Any of them that are not insane, oh wait...

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service