Someone sent me this video recently,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORvv3EY5E1o

it claims that god do exist.

How do you respond to that ?

Tags: facts, science

Views: 531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is some more info I was just reading (as you do..!) on Earth like planets in just the Milky Way.

The very first statement in the video is that the earth is a huge sphere of 12.756 Km radius.  Try instead 12 THOUSAND 756 kilometers in diameter. (6,378 km radius)

Maybe the rest has no science flubs but I stopped right there.

I thought I mis-heard, but guess not, anyway moving on...

At first I thought, "oh they just mixed up diameter and radius" but I did the hearing equivalent of a double-take... he said "point" not "thousand".  Had to play that part three times to really be sure.

Oh that is so totally Bass-Axkwards

What would be completely and hilariously funny would be to strip out every bit of Arabic and Islamic references in this video, then show it to a crowd of fundamentalist christian teabaggers.  After it ends and they're all self-righteously congratulating themselves on a triumphant victory over unbelievers, show the whole thing unedited.  Would their hatred of atheists overcome their hatred of muslims?  Would their adoration of the edited version of the video conflict with the obvious islamic propaganda of the raw video?  Would anybody realize the self-awareness conundrum?

Yes. Yes. and No.

interesting point there.  is propaganda like this really honouring the almighty *place deity here* when the 'evidence' is so generic that you wouldn't recognise to be part of the church of *place religion here* with out specific reference between what passes for factual information.  Not only that, but what does it prove? I hear two things repeated throughout this video, 'heres some facts' and 'believe' and I really cant see the connection between two at all. 

Beginning at 25 seconds: "A huge sphere of 12.756 kilometers in radius ... it is called the Earth." = 7.9 miles off by a factor of 1000. Oops. They should have said 12756 km or 12.756 megameters. (True, no one uses the term megameters but it is a valid term.)

"Why? Why? Why?" asked as if such a question actually applies.

It claims everything is perfect for people and tries to use the facts of how hostile the universe is to support the empty idea that the universe is fine tuned for us.

And they get so many facts wrong that I won't even try to count them. But is that really surprising when the first mistake is in the first minute?

Again, apart from the scientific mistakes in the footage ( if any ), 

The footage is using science facts and figures mixed with some emotional words trying to reach fortunate people. and I think that's our main concern.

How do respond to someone who claims that science leads to god ?

The discoveries of Science are all based upon evidence. Experiments are repeated and if the results are the same then we can make deductions. The whole process must be open and be allowed to be peer reviewed. Science starts with an idea and tries to see if it is correct. Religion starts with the answer and hijacks Science to support it. Once that fails all you will hear is that you must have faith, which is never scientific.

"The footage is using science facts and figures mixed with some emotional words trying to reach fortunate people"  

I think you're not using 'fortunate' correctly, here.  But for the most part I see your point and I'm not concerned.  I'd love for the main religious strategy to become using science to prove their position.  They can't win and will only fail faster by trying.  They'll create some talking points for people who've already abdicated their reasoning to the gods, but that's about it.

Using science to prove religion is like using spitballs to win the Super Bowl.  Spitballs are small incremental advantages and the Super Bowl is the big game of A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SPORT!.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Devlin Cuite 51 seconds ago. 147 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.