For me, Schopenhauer, Bentham, Hume and Singer, hands down, all because of their clear consistent views on ethics, and their rational and / or empiricism.

There are of course others I like very much (Nitchsze stands out) , but the ones above are my favorites.

I really don't like Descartes.  He's clearly more intelligent than I am, this is obvious from his pensées, but I can't see how he could justify some of his claims at all (some of them which were very cruel IMO)

You?

Views: 397

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's sad that you people represent atheism. Some posts make it obvious you're just as deluded as most religious people, if not more. Especially that last post was just disgraceful.

I have never been known for my grace but rather for my vulgarity. If you have a problem with anything I have posted be more specific so that I may properly defend myself.

Hegel swiftly followed by Merleau-Ponty  http://profron.net/fun/Merleau-Ponty_Quotes.html for me its like reading poetry

regards

Bob

Schopenhauer

Bertrand Russell

Camus 

I am a fan Quine in particular in regards to logic. I recommend everyone read Methods of Logic at least once. However, you might want someone who understands logic to help you comprehend it if you haven't had any logic background.

For ethics, I tend to be an ethical egoist, so I side with Nietzsche and Rand the most. I am currently reading Twilight of the Idols and the Anti-Christ, which is very interesting. The Virtue of Selfishness is by far my favorite, as it basically serves as a handbook for Objectivists.

I too, dislike Descartes, pretty much for the same reason as you.

For me Russell, Voltaire, and Socrates.

I've read works by a few philosophers, but I can't say any of them have every done a thing for me. Philosophy, to me, is just a form of religion: making abstract claims that, at best, aren't testable. What is the purpose of philosophy when we have science?

During a Feminist Theory class, about 12 years ago, I ran into what I though was a funny problem. The prof. rejected a paper concerning the statistical change over time of the income differences, women and men, given education, age, etc.

I was a philosophy major/math minor at the time.

The paper showed that income disparity seemed to be dropping and that the difference seemed to be dependent upon mostly age and education. With present population groups having the least disparity. The disparity seemed to grand-fathered in to the older populations.

The prof. rejected the paper on the basis that mathematics can not prove or be insightful on a philosophical question. I quess I came from more of a natural philosophy background, thinking that all our tools should be used to extract some measure of truth. Locking up 'philosophy' into a class separate from the sciences, which I thought was the promising child of philosophy, could denign it a tool, and condemn it to a state similar to theism. 

She also, suggested that I read Kant! I thought I had, not my favorite! 

Does this whole thing remind you of a turf war? Maybe I am just more fluid in my approach..;p)   

In a sense I suppose it is a turf war, if philosophers are attempting to do the same thing that scientists do (understand reality) but with different means (speculation as opposed to evidence).  So, wouldn't religion be part of the same turf war?  When I grade history papers, I write "evidence?" next to things students write that I don't think they can support with facts; perhaps I should write "interesting philosophy" instead.

Epicurus.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service