Hi Friends!

Few questions I have for you today.

Are you a dem or rep? What lead you to your choice of political affiliation? Your parents? Friends? TV? Radio? 

What influences your thought process?

Do you cringe like I do when you hear political candidates say, "I am a christian."?

I think the rep's just hate Obama because he's black. Yes I said it. 

I do plan on voting for him again. 

My final thoughts are that they are all crooks and liars. 

Tags: obama, vote

Views: 1242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, the two party system is a large part of the problem.

But "rejecting" it doesn't change anything.

Until there is major political reform, third party votes are wasted.  Worse -- they are effectively votes for the major party you like LEAST.

There is a reason that Republicans run ads supporting the Green party candidate, in states where the Dem is leading.  Split the left-leaning vote, and the Republican wins.

Even in "safe" states, a strong Republican GOTV, along with a big liberal third party candidate plus other shenanigans (voting restrictions such as ID requirements, placement of voting machines so that voters in liberal districts face long delays, rigged voting machines, etc) can lead to surprising results.

Whether you can't be bothered to vote at all, or whether you think you're being "clever" by casting a "protest vote", the results are the same.

Either a Democrat or a Republican will take the presidency.  If your actions help the wrong one win, you have no one to blame but yourself...

I totally agree I think we need multiple party's that represent many different views however I understand that with our current political landscape any third party attempt is a wast of votes and hurts one of the major parties while helping the other. The way things stand now we get gridlock and nothing gets done if there were many party's they would have to form coalitions to get things done like in many of the European country's there would still be some hold ups but far less than under our system.   

Yeah I hear you it can get discouraging depending on where you live I grew up in Washington DC and you almost cant find a stronger Democrat area its really lopsided now as I vote exclusively for Democrats this never bothered me personally but I know Republicans who just hated it.    

in italy we have billions of parties, and none represents my point of view. i wish we had only two choices and many less politicians.

Ceci two is most certainly not enough. Can we compromise? Say 5?

ahah, i'd rather say 3/4... deal? :D

I'm an independent, but I loathe the current state of the GOP, so the lesser of two evils will likely get my vote.  Unfortunately, a two party system seems to be the inherent nature of American politics.

I cringe when I see piety being displayed as a virtue in any venue.

I'll probably vote for Obama again, a bit more reluctantly this time around.

And yes, they are all corrupt and the poltical system is not working as it should (i.e. for the People).

None of the above. :/ 

I'm a dirty tree-hugging hippie liberal. I didn't vote for O the first time and I certainly wouldn't vote for him this time around - he'll win my state again but not by my vote.  Just another cheat who will lie for any chance to win.

I cringe when anyone tells me that they're christian.  I'm not interested in their warped sense of morality and I certainly don't want them voting on legislation based on it.

I agree with your observation of how republicans feel about him.  So many say they're not racist then turn around & call him a "house n*gger" in the same breath.

The repubs are heartless, the dems are spineless...

*sigh* where's Paul Wellstone when you need him?

First I want to say, I really wish Bush could somehow run again. I'd vote for him in a heart beat.

I AM JUST KIDDING.

"Are you a dem or rep? What lead you to your choice of political affiliation? Your parents? Friends? TV? Radio?"

I am neither. But the Democratic Party generally engenders more of things I agree with. Certainly not my parents. They are FOX Lemmings. Discussion with friends is a great way to sort it out (if they are willing to just discuss and not get too emotional), even if you disagree. I don't watch TV other than for pure humor. Not a bad thing, but that's all it is.

"What influences your thought process?"

Externally? I'm not really sure, but good question. Internally, I try to weigh out what would seem to be the best for everyone in general. "Define best," yeah I know. You have all these micro issues, and then the bigger picture. No current candidate would 100% match the ideal in the big picture to me. It's really a matter of sorting out the 'lesser of two weevils'.

Do you cringe like I do when you hear political candidates say, "I am a christian."?

Definitely. But at the same time, as ridiculous as Christianity is, I'm glad it's been toned down to the level it has. I guess that's what makes it all the more silly. It could be worse, a split second look at history will tell you that. And, for example, Obama goes to church occasionally. Should he? Politically maybe it's a good idea. But I highly doubt he genuinely cares otherwise. Perhaps if he did he would go every week. Sort of like Roman politics in the late republic. Religion was overwhelmingly used simply as a tool. And you had to play the game with it to get anywhere or it would be used against you.

And sadly, I think a candidate almost has to try to affiliate themselves with Christianity in the US, at least marginally. Currently, I don't think anyone can get around this. But I'd rather them play the game but not believe it in true earnest, if they have to do that. But I think this will definitely change in the future! It's exciting to be part of history in the US at the moment. I can't think of another time here I would rather live in.

Another related thought: Herman Cain, although I like some things about him including the fact he is an Outsider, seems a bit too derailed to think clearly in some of the bigger issues because of his religion. I would say he is the better of republican candidates; most of the others just look like carnival shows to me. But I wouldn't vote for him because of exactly your question, and the fact he takes it so seriously.

"I think the rep's just hate Obama because he's black. Yes I said it."

Possibly some, yet not overwhelmingly I think. I have never heard this from my Republican friends, even as a 'joke'. And some are borderline... something. Crazy maybe? But maybe they know better not to pull the card, I don't know. Usually the arguments I hear against Obama are based on FOX News type thinking.

"I do plan on voting for him again."

I am too. The reasons are that, since he is the incumbent and so the default on one 'side' (which is an understandable strategy for the party but hurts the process) and then you have the Republicans who are the only other party who can currently win (very sad but a true fact, at least currently), of all of them, he is the 'best man'. It's good he has experience already being the president. Comparing him to each of the other candidates one on one, I prefer him over each one, weighing everything. I guess the question is, which way do you want to pay? You pay a price either way IMO. It's just different ways you pay.

Ideally there may be other candidates that are better to me, but it's such a machine now, that you would have to get some serious change in the ways people decide to vote. I think if everyone truly voted ignoring the machine, the current two party system would be severely weakened. But again, it's such a machine now, unless someone wants to spearhead a national change in this manner, you have to deal with what works best. I'd rather see Obama being president again, with all the bs that this entails, over voting for someone marginal and see a Perry in office.

"My final thoughts are that they are all crooks and liars."

+1 to this. It's a Political Machine .... of Doom. In the same way religion is used stated above. You have to play the game.

Thanks for posting this!

ahahah i quivered with fear reading your first lines :D

i think that in the usa happened what is going to happen here too: you voted and elected twice a monster president who messed up everything and did the worse he could do. once you realized he was a disaster, you voted for the best one, but the situation was so damaged that he couldn't do much to solve your troubles. consequently, people don't like him anymore and won't vote for him again. same old story...

a friend of mine uses to say that a left government are always elected to solve disasters caused by a right government, and i totally agree with him.

From what I can tell Romney's a clone of Ronald Reagan (also pretty sure Perry's a clone of Bush) and that Cain guy's, um... not gonna happen, if I had to live with the reality of another GOP president I'd rather it be Ron Paul. Or move to Canada. But I'll prolly just vote for Obama... and then still move to Canada.

Move to Canada sounds like a capital Idea

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 2 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service