I find it annoying that people think we somehow choose atheism willingly simply because we want to.

The other one that I don't like is "atheism = immoral".

What about you?

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

key wording here being: observed or imagined.

Stereotypes are not necessarily wrong, or bad...
I see the army as a place where poor and/or stupid people go.

Um, I had the same notion once, but was surprised by the number of smart people in the military when I served. It can be a really productive way to get technical training, stay in shape, see the world. Not sure if I'd be happy to be in the service now as overworked as it is, but the benefits are still there. I blame most of the current undesirability of it now on Bush and other so-called "patriots".

I even knew some well off people in the military, although they're rare. Poor and underclass isn't a bad generalization. But "stupid" is.
maybe stupid was the wrong word... maybe a wording along the lines of "propensity to blind obedience"...
To believers, atheists represent an extreme hubris for daring to confidently reject God. These believers have not reasoned through (past?) all the brainwashing they've grown up with, so it makes them uncomfortable to think that others have.

Atheists frighten believers because their beliefs always boil down to a leap of faith. They're afraid they're lingering over a precipice, like Wiley Coyote, with nothing to support them.

What I hate the most is how believers retreat to faith, when pressed, as if that is some kind of answer.
My niece recently graduated from Marine boot camp at Parris Island, S.C. I went to the graduation exercise. The Marine corps band marched onto the field playing "Onward Christian Soldiers". After the "service", my niece showed me the small bible that she was given by the Marine Chaplin. My wife gave me that "just grin and bear it" look.

My biggest one is that because I "don't believe in anything" that means my view doesn't have to be respected. I've come across maybe two people in my life who displayed this behavior towards me in person, but it was enough to get my blood boiling. Also, these are people who won't tolerate any criticism towards their religion, friendly or otherwise. They expect people to revere their opinion as much as they do and tip-toe around their feelings. That's another thing I can't stand. The blatant hypocrisy. 

I personally don't mind the stereotypes, people will always use familiar terminology so I don't really blame them for that. What does annoy me is the response that since science does not know how the universe began, it must have been god. That one does become tiresome.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 2 minutes ago. 112 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service