I find it annoying that people think we somehow choose atheism willingly simply because we want to.

The other one that I don't like is "atheism = immoral".

What about you?

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, it bugs me too, when they think we have no idea how to tell right from wrong because we have no god. I guess without god, I should be out raping and pillaging, but frankly, I don't have the energy.
No energy for raping or pillaging? Sheer laziness - typical atheist. :P
The issue of morality really gets my goat. They don't realize that requiring a book to tell you right from wrong makes them amoral, and believing that the genocidal acts conducted by their god are good makes them immoral.
My favorite..

"Atheists are just angry people. They decide not to believe in god because they're mad at him."

Oh that gets a chuckle out of me every time.
i've actually known angry atheists. One was even a Jesuit school dropout or reject (I couldn't learn which). When I think of Tea Party I first think of the whackos in it. I know that's thinking too stereotypically, but it's a common problem.
Atheists should be angry, for all the BS that's been shoveled onto society by religion. Mad at god????? pretty bloody hard to be mad at something that does not exist...

It's not a stereotype that bothers me in the least! Actually the opposite would bother me more!
I love how they say we must lead horrible, purposeless lives!

The word "Science" is like a swear word to them!
One people's main peeves seems to be the whole immorality thing... to me that's a compliment.
doone, the article in no way implies that there are more atheists in the army, only that the Christian majority found in the army happen to be less religious... not much to go on.

The opposite would have been depressing, I see the army as a place where poor and/or stupid people go.
My father and brother are neither poor nor stupid, thank you.
My grandfather was a NCO in the Marines in WW2. A smart man, handy with anything he turned his mind to.

Re: Derailment: The soldiers coming back from the Pacific theater did the same.
I see as much rational to being a soldier as being religious, they exist in the same plain for me.

Now if this thread had been started by a soldier and read "stereotypes about soldiers that bug me", well, this might have fit perfectly. Stereotypes can be false... or... they can be true... In the case of the USA military for example, the stereotype is based in reality, according to all social analysts. Does it mean that 100% of soldiers conform to the stereotype? of course not, but a majority do. The USA government takes advantage of socially disadvantaged sectors of society to make up its military, this is no secret.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service