I think it was on T/A that I read someone's response to a Christian who was rationalizing his religion.  The dissenter pointed out that even among the other religions, Christianity is one of the least plausible, with "X" religion (I don't remember; something I had never heard of) being the most plausible.  

I think that's an interesting thing to think about.  Which religion do you think is the most plausible?

NOTE:  Perhaps I should word it this way:  which religion is the least preposterous?  If I asked you to rank the religions (atheism is not a religion) by most plausible to least plausible, you would rank "1. X, 2. Y, 3. Z" and so on.  You would not say "none of the above" because I'm not asking "which religion is plausible."  I think we can all agree that none of the religions are plausible (at least not plausible enough to accept because, well, most of us here on Think Atheists are atheists :D)

Tags: comparison, logic, plausible, religion

Views: 972

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was great!

I think Edward Current (blog youtube), Keith Lowell Jensen (blog youtube), and Sam Singleton - Atheist Evangelist (website youtube) are the top atheist comedians/humorists out there today.

Thanks for sharing!

Also Pat Condell. Love that man! : )
Damn cool, I like it! thanks for sharing.
Have you guys met Gary the invisible microscopic plaid rocket elephant?
Funny how some think that there is only the god of the desert (religion) out here on planet Earth?! I see no "better" plausible religion, but as far as I am concerned, I like the ones that are NOT trying to take over the world....hehe
The only belief that is around I like is Buddhism just because my favorite saying comes from it..

"If you see yourself in others do no harm"
If I believed that any religion was plausible, I probably wouldn't be an atheist. But there are certain aspects of Buddhism that I do like.
Maybe "which religion is least likely to attempt a coup of reason and thrust a civilization into near perpetual state of subjugation, servitude, and self loathing?
I think all religions are "fact" on the grounds of considering them political, cultural, and traditional institutions with certain social benefits steeped in highly interpretive philosophic literature and subjectively relative morality.

However I discount and dismiss all belief of anything supernatural or superstitious on the grounds there is no evidence for such. So on that side, no religion is plausible.

I briefly looked through this thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.  Of any religion, I think Deism is the most plausible.  A Deist believes that there is a "God", but it does doesn't involve itself in the universe (i.e. creating miracles, listening to prayers, speaking to people, etc).  Many of the founding fathers of the USA were Deists.

I think it's understandable to take this position given our limited perspective in the universe - especially 200+ years ago.  But as we learn more and more about where the universe came from and where it's going, I think it's increasingly difficult to say that there is a "God" behind it all.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service