Where should we draw the line with regards to Animal Rights?

Where should we draw the line with regards to Animal Rights?

Yes, I am talking about Chickens/Cows/Fish/Medical test Animals.

//edit//
Should GE animals (Genetically Engineered) be treated any different? 

GO!

Views: 203

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is the basis of your argument for this notion?
He has a special place in his heart for mammalian bipeds as well.
Could you imagine if you only had 1-6 months to live out your entire life?

Would I have the cognitive processing of a human or a chicken? The suffering implied by your question is dependent upon a continuous conception of time and projection of oneself into the future, of which I think a chicken possess neither.
I'm not saying that chickens have no cognitive capabilities. I think that there is a huge difference between the capacity to participate in a social order and the abstract processing necessary to fully comprehend and agonize over one's future predicament.

I fully agree that chickens raised for consumption or egg production require the adequate environment described by Adriana. My point is that once this physical suffering is removed, I do not think that the actual act of raising, killing, and consuming a chicken is morally wrong because the chicken does not conceive of the process in the same way as a human being.
The exact same argument could be made for humans.
The exact same argument could be made for humans.

How so?
Birth 'em in tubes, make sure they're physically comfortable, allow them to socialize amongst each other but not to know anything outside of the farm, and presto, "comfortable" humans ready for slaughter. Better yet, genetically engineer their cognitive abilities so they can comprehend life outside the farm. There, now it's flawless, no?
Birth 'em in tubes, make sure they're physically comfortable, allow them to socialize amongst each other but not to know anything outside of the farm, and presto, "comfortable" humans ready for slaughter

The point was about humans being able to agonize over the future in a way in which chickens cannot. You are talking about spatial awareness; my point was about temporal awareness.
These fantasies of animals being lovingly cared for until the day they are used for dinner is what promotes consumption; it's a lie.

How is it a lie? Small farms don't exist?
Small farms exist, but the masses aren't eating that, they're grabbing some taco hell, or kentucky fried growth hormone chicken, or big macs.

People eating factory-farmed meat is still not an argument against the existence nor the potential viability of small farms as an option for meat consumption. Perhaps if the nation as a whole refused to consume CAFO products, a shift towards small farms could become a reality. This would require reducing meat consumption, which is something that I know we both agree on. Personally, I think that we need to reduce our portions of all foods; America's gluttony yields problems far beyond the scope of animal rights.
I would agree with you on terms of not being too cramped. Cleanliness is very important.
It is true that other animals do not have the same brain power humans have and therefore do not have the same emotions or critical thinking skills as we do but your argument has two main flaws.

#! We are animals too. The only difference between us and a dog is what I have described (and thumbs! Thumbs are the key to evolutionary success! lol)

#2 The fact that they are not human does not make them lesser therefore their pain and suffering should concern us, especially when we are the ones causing it like on factory farms.

Other animals have just as much right to a decent life as any human even if they're going to be killed so just making sure factory farms are "not to cramped" isn't enough. They need to be exterminated and replaced with real farms, it's actually possible, we have the land for it. (oh this part isn't really directed toward you Mathew just my ranting :P)

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Simon Paynton 16 minutes ago. 5 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 13 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 22 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service