To make a long story short, I was at a cook out for this all-star high school football game I got accepted for, and the guy speaking to us at the cook out made a speach on why we are all here then said "Now let us bow our heads in prayer."....Like he knew EVERYONE was a Christian, Catholic, ect. So what Im asking is, why do people think that everyone is religious and ask the whole crowd to pray? Do they not think that it may insult someone or that some people may not be religious? Also when that does happen, why do people give you the evil eye when they see you not praying, but just sitting there starring at the wall? (Like I was doing). So could someone help me out and give me some advice on what I should do when this happens on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and other family gatherings?

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes it was a public event at a high school called "Fostoria High" (a public school, not in any way a parochial school). As for the public funds go, yes, they used public funds including 120 dollars straight from me for the uniform rental and my dad bought the jersey I was using. I just might contact them now. Thank you for the advice.
The money from you was "private funding."  Totally write the foundation, unless the person who gave you the evil eye could put two and two together and get you into something you're not willing to deal with.
I tend to just sit and wait politely for the food. People may not like it, but I refuse to go against my beliefs for the sake of appeasing people who think I'm an embarrassment or destined for Hell.
It's ironic they are giving you the evil eye for not praying, yet for them to see that you aren't, they themselves have to have there eyes opened. If they are giving you the evil eye, why would they believe what they are currently doing constitutes as praying?

Yes, people always assume everyone is religious, and in particular, a Jesus-based religion.  Because prayer could offend other religions, not just atheists. 

I always take the opportunity to people-watch and I recite a little poem from "Alice Through the Looking Glass" in my head or under my breath.  It starts like this: "'The time has come,' the Walrus said, 'To talk of many things.  Of ships and shoes and sealing wax and cabbages and kings.  And why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings.'"  This tends to keep me entertained.  I don't take offense-- unless the prayer gets long and involved and I run out of attention span, that is.

Hilarious- thanks!

And, I am so glad >4mil have watched it and that Likes outnumber Dislikes - there may be hope!

Hahahahahahaha.

The short answer?  Christian Privilage.

Get used to the evil stare. You did the right thing, you should make a point of looking around though. Get people to notice the when they question you afterwards then you explain your reasons. Most will say that not to pray is tube disrespectful (as if that means anything anyway) but as long as you don't cause a disruption then i don't see how you are been disrespectful. Remember, it is us who should keep our dignity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj-TlRi_uj4 

just ask yourself WWPD? This is what I always want to say, but I don't in a big crowd because then you're asking for a lynch mob

Hahahahaha.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service