Alright, so a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend of mine in class. And we began to talk about religion. Now I'm far from the kind of person that likes to showcase my views on things, But I told him I was an Atheist. He Actually didn't believe me at first, and said that people have to take a oath to become an atheist. We literally argued about this for 5 whole minutes before I finally said lets go to an computer and get google the definition. after I showed him what atheism actually is, He still retained doubt. I just said forget it, and ended the conversation on it there. 

What I'm asking is how long will people remain that ignorant on atheism. It's not like he's dumb when it comes to other topics. He says He's a christian and he never even read the bible. And when I told him and another friend I read it They Laughed. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention one of the guys laughing has a tattoo that says "blessed" on his chest. And he never read the bible. That's just stupid to me, But I kinda want to know what other people think about this.

Tags: Atheism, Christianity

Views: 7663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunate that this was their response. I think when we stop debating and start dialoging with one another. Trying to score points and land zingers does no one any real good. Os Guinness was write in his book on a lack of civility in the public square ---from either side(s).

Wretched, the debate here may be a result of the trauma religion caused in our lives.

As we adapt and become stronger, the debate becomes dialogue.

1. Being religious and believing in supernatural powers are two separate issues.  I know atheist Jews who follow the rituals for cultural and social reasons but don't believe in gods; I know people who follow no religion but believe in supernatural powers.

2. Sounds like you are surrounded by extremely ignorant (not stupid, just uninformed) people.  There are many regions of the country where most people are well-informed and well-educated, and thus understand atheism (whether they agree with it or not).

3. It's not stupid to self-identify as a Christian without having read the Bible.  It's like self-identifying as a Democrat or a Republican without having read the Constitution - reasonable and common.

Without having read the Constitution, or without having read the party platform and seeing through the rhetoric to the reality?

BTW, the Constitution has rhetoric too, such as the 8th Amendment's "cruel and unusual punishments." I like to ask Constitutional literalists when punishment is cruel and when it's unusual.

The answer you'll get is whatever HE thinks is cruel or unusual.

" For thou shalt have no other gods,"  came forth the jealous call.  I'll go a little further yet - I'll have no gods at all."  ..  Angeline Bennett

Mark Twain remarked that reading the bible was the best cure for Xianity

Christians are generally very ignorant. My motto is if they actually read the bible, there'd be more atheists.

I have to strongly disagree.  Belief in the supernatural is not solely a consequence of lack of information.  Non-rational human psychology has a great deal to do with belief in the supernatural.  This is why Harvard Divinity professors - who are extremely well-educated and well-informed, and who know the Bible inside and out - still believe in supernatural forces.  A/theism has more to do with core cognitive modes - how one processes and prioritizes information, how one integrates emotions into this processing, and so forth - than with exposure to data (although the latter has an effect).

A good friend of mine has a Ph.D. in microbiology, is outstanding in his field, and knows much more about evolutionary theory and genetics than I do.  He knows that humans evolved due to natural processes, that the universe is 10-12 billion years old, and so forth.  But he still believes that, after he dies, his consciousness will continue.  This is not a religious belief - it's an emotional crutch that he uses to deal with death.  Ignorance has nothing to do with his belief in the supernatural - it's rooted in the way he processes his data and integrates his emotional needs and biases.

Yes, but Mark Twain DID comment that reading the bible was the best cure for Xianity.  :-)     .It did cure me 68 years ago, from Catholicism.  Although I did question bible stories as a child, the usual ones, it was actually reading the book that terminated my belief in the whole thing.

I would argue that that's because your cognitive mode naturally allows atheism.  In other words: some people's brains are wired for rational skepticism and some aren't; a rational skeptic reading the Bible will be pushed towards atheism, and the other kind of brain won't be.  Careful consideration of the Bible won't push you towards atheism unless your brain is wired in that direction anyway ... There are many, many preachers who know the Bible in great detail, and are unfazed by its inconsistencies and absurdities.

True Tom.  I am a bit skeptical  by nature on most things.  I should have moved  to Missouri - the 'show me' state'.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service