Alright, so a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend of mine in class. And we began to talk about religion. Now I'm far from the kind of person that likes to showcase my views on things, But I told him I was an Atheist. He Actually didn't believe me at first, and said that people have to take a oath to become an atheist. We literally argued about this for 5 whole minutes before I finally said lets go to an computer and get google the definition. after I showed him what atheism actually is, He still retained doubt. I just said forget it, and ended the conversation on it there. 

What I'm asking is how long will people remain that ignorant on atheism. It's not like he's dumb when it comes to other topics. He says He's a christian and he never even read the bible. And when I told him and another friend I read it They Laughed. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention one of the guys laughing has a tattoo that says "blessed" on his chest. And he never read the bible. That's just stupid to me, But I kinda want to know what other people think about this.

Tags: Atheism, Christianity

Views: 7657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lars, please tell me your view on the following.

I've read a lot of European history and concluded that that the centuries of religious war there led to a separation of church and state that's more complete than the separation we here in the USofA have.

Is that my delusion, or is there something to it?

I tell people that some religious war here will help Americans separate the two.

BTW, before I retired from the computer business, what we called "Danish modern" furniture was real popular here. My unit manager for a while went to Denmark several times each each year to order Danish furniture for his wife's store. I haven't kept up and don't know if it's still popular.

Well in Denmark we actually are some of the newest Christians in Europe, I believe Norway is the newest and unlike rest of Europe, Scandinavia has not have the same amount of battles between Catholics and Protestants. So I can not answer super correctly for other parts than Scandinavia. But with that said I do think your "assumptions" is correct, but is mostly accurated if you look on Northern europe excluding Scandinavia, because countries like The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium seems to be truly split.

But in southern europe there are still some deep rooted connections between the Church and government, you can especially see it on politics concerning for instance Gays and abortion. This is based on thing I have bee told by some of mates from Spain and Italy.

But I you mean truly separation. like no connection at all, there is no Country in europe (I believe) there have a complet separation. For instance heir in Denmark we until 2011 had a ministry of Church and a Secretary of Church and from 2011 to pressent we have a ministry of Religion and a Secretary if Religion and most other european countries has something similar. But the church has no influence on political decision.

To your BTW question. Well yes, we have some pretty known and well seen Designers which are popular all around the world like Arne Jakobsen whom designed Furniture, B&O designers and manufactures of HIFI equipments (TV, sterros, Speaks etc)  and Of course LEGO but I don't think you see that as furniture :D 

LEGO isn't furniture?  Damn!  I need to trash my living room set then.

(Just kidding, in fact it's a normal sofa/loveseat/recliner combo.)

My recollection from being a tourist in Denmark about 20 years ago was that the monarch was required to be a Lutheran, also.

HEY I see LEGO as furniture :D or at least it makes a good icecoler :D

Well I don't think our Queen has to be Lutheran, but if I remember correct she is the "leader" of the church

A devout Muslim work colleague once told me that I was a "godless heathen", I just smiled and agreed.

A Muslim fellow that shared a house with me called me a 'white devil'. I heald my dark tanned arm up to his and said, 'we are not that different'. 

Only when they accept truth

Only when they are strong enough to accept truth.

Atheism is accepted and understood now more than ever due to the whole New Atheism movement. I've always identified myself as one and back in the day parents would tell their kids to steer clear of me because of my disbelief, that's it. It invoked fear (apparently i was an animal sacrificing, baby-eating, drug addict sodomite at the age of 14). Now people see it better, at least to moderates, and don't think the same way they did back then because of the New Atheist movement. People will always be dogmatized to believe anything other than your families religion is evil, and they will spin it in twisted ways. 

There is hope now, if you're referring to when will atheism become a majority? I think humans would kill each other off before it happens, but optimistically it probably won't be at least up there with other religions for another century or two. 

They're ignorant about their "own" religion - "I'm christian but I ain't never read no bible!" Come on... really?! Those are the types who get the most bent out of shape about atheists and other "weirdo religions" that don't believe in the easter bunny or santa clause.

http://apologeticsuk.blogspot.com/search/label/William%20Lane%20Craig

There are some good sound intellectual sites that can show the 'God side' as this link will demo.Of course,not to everyone's satisfaction since it runs counter to one's beliefs.This goes for human beings anyway as we all select our beliefs which can be discussed.This is grand intellectual freedom.I am not an atheist ,but have roundly defended their rights,and tried to understands their thinking,etc.No one should be shunned in any way for their beliefs-that means both sides.

People understand truth but avoid...truth is atheism...

RSS

Forum

The Cross

Started by Belle Rose in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 21 Replies

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Simon Mathews 10 hours ago. 18 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by MikeLong 21 hours ago. 38 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service