Alright, so a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend of mine in class. And we began to talk about religion. Now I'm far from the kind of person that likes to showcase my views on things, But I told him I was an Atheist. He Actually didn't believe me at first, and said that people have to take a oath to become an atheist. We literally argued about this for 5 whole minutes before I finally said lets go to an computer and get google the definition. after I showed him what atheism actually is, He still retained doubt. I just said forget it, and ended the conversation on it there. 

What I'm asking is how long will people remain that ignorant on atheism. It's not like he's dumb when it comes to other topics. He says He's a christian and he never even read the bible. And when I told him and another friend I read it They Laughed. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention one of the guys laughing has a tattoo that says "blessed" on his chest. And he never read the bible. That's just stupid to me, But I kinda want to know what other people think about this.

Tags: Atheism, Christianity

Views: 7667

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Atleast no one is suggesting an air strike, or coastal shelling, before the first wave.

Great reply, James. Humor will help us win.

Do you think HLS is listening in?

I don't know if TA has a only a short or very long list of 'nerds'. I have known my share of scary 'nerds'.

Agreed, David. In fact, I prefer not to attack religious poeple for their beliefs, as most people identify so strongly with their belief system, that to attack it, is to attack them personally, and that convinces no one. I prefer instead, to attack the validity of the Bible and the Quran and explode their myths, which allows the religious at least the opportunity to rethink their positions.

It certainly is a sad state of affairs. I too had someone think I was joking when I told them I was an atheist. 

I think it would help to have some mainstream movies or tv shows with atheist protagonists that people can relate to. Not movies about atheists/atheism, just involving them. Just to acclimate the world to our existence. 

There's a lot to be said on the topic of religion in Star Trek (my favorite TV franchise), and some embarrassing moments on the issue in its long history, but there have been episodes throughout the years that I can confidently say are pro-atheist and anti-religion in varying degrees.

"Who Mourns for Apollo?" and what's the other one?

That one's good (though it's actually called "Who Mourns for Adonais?"), but my favorite one is "Who Watches the Watchers?" from TNG (The Next Generation, if you're not familiar with Trek lingo.)  I think it's from Season 3.  Watch it if you haven't seen it.  Patrick Stewart has a great anti-religion speech.

Yes, I had a Christian tell me the other day I needed to "reread" the Bible because there is nothing in it about killing homosexuals.  I had to send him Leviticus 20.

"When do you think people will finally start to understand atheism?"

When people finally start to understand Christianity (for the nonsense it is).

Atheism means there is no God- that is what the word means- a theos- no God. So you believe there is no God. But you cannot know that because you do not have complete knowledge of the universe and beyond. So the name you call yourself is contradictory to being able to state there is no God. So maybe the reason for lack of understanding by others of what you believe starts with your name. 

So none of us ever knows anything?

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service