Alright, so a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend of mine in class. And we began to talk about religion. Now I'm far from the kind of person that likes to showcase my views on things, But I told him I was an Atheist. He Actually didn't believe me at first, and said that people have to take a oath to become an atheist. We literally argued about this for 5 whole minutes before I finally said lets go to an computer and get google the definition. after I showed him what atheism actually is, He still retained doubt. I just said forget it, and ended the conversation on it there. 

What I'm asking is how long will people remain that ignorant on atheism. It's not like he's dumb when it comes to other topics. He says He's a christian and he never even read the bible. And when I told him and another friend I read it They Laughed. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention one of the guys laughing has a tattoo that says "blessed" on his chest. And he never read the bible. That's just stupid to me, But I kinda want to know what other people think about this.

Tags: Atheism, Christianity

Views: 7662

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would simply say, "You're Christian because Christianity is the religion here. If you were born in India, you'd be a Hindu, in Saudi Arabia a Muslim. People tend to believe the religion of their parents."

Xians will understand atheism when hell freezes over, or when they read the Wholly Babble & become atheists.

when they are finally tired of bullshit hehehe...

I am in the UK where most people are atheist but find that the word 'atheist' is only used by people who have strong feelings about religion. It is seen as challenging and confrontational over here whereas saying 'I don't believe in a god' is not - most of my friends will say this casually. It's as though they claim a cultural identification - 'I don't believe in gods but if I did it would the Christian/Muslim/Hindu one' whereas saying 'I am an atheist' is like denying your culture and identity and standing out. I have found that if, when the subject of religion comes up, I say 'I have no religion' most people will say comfortably 'No, me neither.' but if I say 'I am an atheist' eyes widen slightly and people hesitate before saying something about not being religious themselves. The word is uncomfortable. 

Perhaps you could say to people first 'I don't believe in a god' and then later use the term atheist they will actually understand that this is all it means? You have made me think, actually. I think I will start a discussion about this. Hmm

Yes it seems we are always in need for more euphemisms, bullshitting others by bullshitting ourselves.

I'll be diplomatic when the situation calls for it, but I am an Atheist, which for me means that if in any way I can help it, I don't buy bullshit.

For us it's easy to be Atheists, we should be the last ones to behave like that. It would almost feel like betrayal to me.

You're right, it is a confrontational word - atheist, but I love it.  I'm 85 & escaped Catholicism over 66 years ago.  Didn't really 'go public' with my disbelief until I retired.  (Business reasons ), but family & close friends knew. Just about the whole world needs to examine these primitive  / absurd beliefs, then toss them aside.

That is so naive. Yeah, your perception is faulty. When I was a 20 year old atheist (I'm almost 65 now), it was not a "young people thing." Even WAY back then. I'm guessing you don't know all that many well-educated older people outside of perhaps your extended family.

You went through an evolution, Joseph. If only all people were able to evolve as you have.

Having been born into a Mormon family, I still don't know why some of us escape the brainwashing and some don't. But there is family, societal and church pressure to accept the myths. There is fear of rejection if you don't accept. And we all know that there are 2 requisites for being elected to the US presidency, being a Christian (or at least claiming to be) and being married to someone of the opposite sex.

Most of people who believe in god have probably not read bible. They are preached filtered down version of bible peppered with inspiring and motivating quotes. This is done by parents, preachers since peoples childhood. Even if you point out these verses religion has built up so much good will over the years people refuse to see it....

Not only have many Christians not read their bible, many become Atheists BECAUSE they read the bible. It was like that for myself, my room mate, one of her friends and quite a few other people I have met over the years. I find that there is a common theme: Christians looking for answers goes to the bible. Christian discovers the bible is actually full of some pretty awful stuff (usually counter to what they have been taught about god). Unable to reconcile the god they felt they knew, with the god described in the bible, they begin their flight from faith.

All we can do is stand up, be who we are and show the world through example that we are decent people. One of the most interesting (and oddly common) reactions I get to telling people about my Atheism is "but you're such a good person!" They just can't fathom the idea of anybody being good without a god. I think the bible does get a few things right here and there. I must say that the idea that "they will know us by our works" is good advice. Being a positive face of Atheism is very important.

Thumbs up for this well written opinion.

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service