Alright, so a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend of mine in class. And we began to talk about religion. Now I'm far from the kind of person that likes to showcase my views on things, But I told him I was an Atheist. He Actually didn't believe me at first, and said that people have to take a oath to become an atheist. We literally argued about this for 5 whole minutes before I finally said lets go to an computer and get google the definition. after I showed him what atheism actually is, He still retained doubt. I just said forget it, and ended the conversation on it there. 

What I'm asking is how long will people remain that ignorant on atheism. It's not like he's dumb when it comes to other topics. He says He's a christian and he never even read the bible. And when I told him and another friend I read it They Laughed. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention one of the guys laughing has a tattoo that says "blessed" on his chest. And he never read the bible. That's just stupid to me, But I kinda want to know what other people think about this.

Tags: Atheism, Christianity

Views: 7656

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ike gave the impression of having a sense of honor. He ran for president and I, fresh out of the Navy and old enough to vote, chose him over Stevenson. One year later I hated that he okayed the CIA's overthrow of an elected Iranian government. Recently I learned that Truman had refused.

The years since have been unkind to Iranians and Americans. We installed a tyrant and trained his secret police. In the mid-1970s, Iranians overthrew him. He entered the USofA, allegedly for medical care. Young Iranians figured it was for his protection and took over the our embassy. The Iranian religious took over Iran and are still giving us trouble. I figure 9/11 was long delayed payback for our Middle Eastern foreign policy. America's foreign policy and Americans' civil liberties have long been on a collision course

Some may allege Iran's being adjacent to the USSR made it a Cold War tactic. The published histories I've seen say it was because England's Anglo-Iranian Oil (now BP) was treating Iran and Iranian workers the way America's robber barons treated America and American workers in the late 1800s.

When the idea that enforcing your beliefs upon billions of children when they are born is when all major religions will forfeit their claim of being completely correct.

But as far as understanding, I suggest that as a whole most of the world is indeed starting to understand Atheism. The problem is allowing it to be true or acceptable. Think of it as trying to put an ant in the forefront of a large spider environment with deadly attacking enemies. Athiest's being the ant, it would take the over turning of a lot of hard-headed peoples minds on the fact that they intrinsically are inherently incorrect or wrong. It will be an enormous task that will take a very long time indeed. But if you keep sticking up against religion and staying in a logical mind-frame, people just may slowly come around to your ideas.

When the idea that enforcing your beliefs upon billions of children when they are born is when all major religions will forfeit their claim of being completely correct.

In other words...not gonna happen

In this world, no. But maybe in a utopia of intelligent beings, rather intelligent designers, AKA "GAWWD ALMIGHTY".

Corey:

"...it would take the over turning of a lot of hard-headed peoples minds."

My attempts to understand atheism included visiting a college atheist club, and the certainty I heard there that no gods existed resulted in my choosing agnosticism. Building in myself the self-confidence that Catholicism had years earlier blocked took much longer, and in time I put agnosticism and chose atheism.

I've come to see that people who seem hard-headed in their religious belief are really frightened of the world they inhabit. For them to heal will require both information and self-confidence.

Here's what I don't know: is one required before the other?

i dont know, but people are retards for not getting it. atheism is just the absence of god. and if hes a christian who has never read the bible that shows how stupid he actually is. he believes something he knows nothing about. ask him why he is a christian. ask him why he believes what he does. question his beliefs.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 3 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service