Alright, so a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend of mine in class. And we began to talk about religion. Now I'm far from the kind of person that likes to showcase my views on things, But I told him I was an Atheist. He Actually didn't believe me at first, and said that people have to take a oath to become an atheist. We literally argued about this for 5 whole minutes before I finally said lets go to an computer and get google the definition. after I showed him what atheism actually is, He still retained doubt. I just said forget it, and ended the conversation on it there. 

What I'm asking is how long will people remain that ignorant on atheism. It's not like he's dumb when it comes to other topics. He says He's a christian and he never even read the bible. And when I told him and another friend I read it They Laughed. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention one of the guys laughing has a tattoo that says "blessed" on his chest. And he never read the bible. That's just stupid to me, But I kinda want to know what other people think about this.

Tags: Atheism, Christianity

Views: 7656

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Related.

Terrific, Doug. Best argument against the Pledge and the best humor I've heard in a long time. Thanks.

For a while there, I thought he was channeling Carlin --

Tom - don't you suspect that this is quite similar to what those wealthy capitalists were thinking?

"How can you have order in a state without religion? For, when one man is dying of hunger near another who is ill of overeating, he cannot resign himself to this difference unless there is an authority which declares 'God wills it thus.' Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."
-- Napoleon Bonaparte --

All but identical, archaeopteryx.

One history of the Republican Party says that during the 1970s, someone drew attention to the similarity of fundamentalist xian beliefs to conservative beliefs. It remained for President Reagan to invite the fundies into the Party.

A smart move, in that it greatly increased Party membership.

A dumb move in that they were the majority and took over the Party.

Will internal conflict destroy the party that Lincoln and other anti-slavery people created?

To what effect?

Barry Goldwater would never have wanted "fundies" in the GOp. He would have foreseen that it would eventually lead to the destruction or distraction of the party.

I was a Repub in Arizona in the 1970s and heard Goldwater speak to activists. In immigrant issues he may have had a bit of conscience, but a history of the Party (Rule and Ruin, by Kabaservice) says that in the early 1960s he played a major part in excluding the Party's moderates.

This led to a need to recruit replacements. Southern Dems (whose ancestors had owned slaves the Repubs had freed) re-registered as Repubs and brought their racism into the Party. Needing more bodies led to Reagan's inviting the Fundies, who brought their big government authoritarianism into the Party.

Why in pluperfect hell did the 1960s Repubs, including Goldwater, exclude moderates? Ruin was a long time coming, but it appears to have arrived. We are witnesses to the Last Hurrah of America's Racist White Males. Plutocrats don't care who helps them win power.

Thanks, Barry. NOT!!!

PS. I agree with Mark Twain; Congress is America's criminal class.

Effective reform will require a national initiative and referendum amendment to the federal Constitution. Won't happen in my lifetime; it's more democracy (and the accompanying responsibility) than Americans want.

Barry Goldwater spoke out very forcefully against fundies wanting into the GOP.  But he lost out to Eisenhower.

In my opinion - and I'm sure there are those out there with evidence to the contrary - "Ike" was the last Republican President with a sense of honor.

Plus he made it OK to eat fried chicken in public, with your fingers - what's not to like about that?

I'm not a Republican (not even close) but I'd nominate Barry Goldwater as the last Republican nominee for President with integrity.

Ike turned out to be a good President.  Only dumb thing I can recall was allowing some preacher talk him into printing :  In god we trust  on our currency.  Sounds good, it couldn't sound any better if it was TRUE.

Nobody - not even Unseen, despite his protests to the contrary - is perfect.

RSS

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service