Alright, so a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend of mine in class. And we began to talk about religion. Now I'm far from the kind of person that likes to showcase my views on things, But I told him I was an Atheist. He Actually didn't believe me at first, and said that people have to take a oath to become an atheist. We literally argued about this for 5 whole minutes before I finally said lets go to an computer and get google the definition. after I showed him what atheism actually is, He still retained doubt. I just said forget it, and ended the conversation on it there. 

What I'm asking is how long will people remain that ignorant on atheism. It's not like he's dumb when it comes to other topics. He says He's a christian and he never even read the bible. And when I told him and another friend I read it They Laughed. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention one of the guys laughing has a tattoo that says "blessed" on his chest. And he never read the bible. That's just stupid to me, But I kinda want to know what other people think about this.

Tags: Atheism, Christianity

Views: 7682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It seems to me that Christianity, in a supposedly Christian country, is the easy option. The default position. It demands nothing of the Christian by way of intellectual effort, or devotional activism - you know, like actually READING the book that is supposed to give you your spiritual and moral compass. Your beliefs.

Many atheists (not all) HAVE taken the trouble to read it, and to challenge what it says.

Why are Christians so unquestioning? Because they are indoctrinated from birth and can't break out? Are they scared of the consequences of challenging their faith (the wrath of God?). Are they just lazy and stupid? Who knows?

Yeah, I agree. Christianity does seem like the default religion, all of my friends are christians. and I think it's a little of both, They fear their god and they're lazy.

Laziness is a big one.  I've challenged a christian friend to read the bible and the response was "who has time?"  Well, if *my* eternal soul depended on some book, I'd certainly want to read it!

I haven't read the bible.  I'm an atheist because I don't believe in anyone's god, not just the Christian one.  I don't need to read the Koran either, to know I don't believe in Allah-god.  Or any other sect of scriptures.  It's all a bunch of mysticism - the only tragedy is that so many believe it.  Faith is just a manifestation of the fears of Mortality and Insignificance.  Once you face your fear and get over yourself, you can move on to such interesting things, free of self-imposed restraints.

You're the perfect one to pit up against any theist who doesn't want to know about atheism, I suppose.

How can you "know" about atheism?  atheism is an absence of something.

The absence part anyone can do. To deal with a theist you need to understand theism, all the wrinkles of theism, the arguments they use and the counterarguments.

Yes, there are things to know in order to be an intelligent atheist.

Grasshopper thanks you - smiles

Peace

Yeah, you're right Mz Strega.    Especially the absence of gullibility.

First of off to be Christian requires daily devotional activism if you are a true Christian. And we are a country found on Christian principles to deny that is to deny America exists at all.“America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within.”-Joseph Stalin. I think everyone on this website would be interested in how the world’s largest atheist movement came to be and recommend a book called the Naked Communist by Cleon Skousen. Furthermore to say that being a Christian demands no intellectual effort I find that a bold statement as Christians outnumber atheist 9 to 1 in the united states .Basically you are stating your smarter than 98.6% of all Americans. Are you a world renowned doctor, or possibly a world renowned scientist, lawyer maybe or do you simply thrash others intelligence because you have a career less than shall I say notable. In addition, the bible is a guideline; Christians go to church to learn the gospel by appointed educated men who decipher the bible so as to not take what it says out of context and help Christians decipher it. And Christians are not scared of god he is embraced and whether they are right or wrong they live as happy as they can and try to be as kind as possible. I challenge anyone to read the bible and say the message is not beautiful. Or say the message is not a good way to live life. I might add it is a historical fact that someone named Jesus Christ did live, was crucified, was said to have healing powers, and the earth did quake at his death. Pleas though in the future if you’re going to insist on defending atheism don’t make such bold statements with so many holes in them its as though you do know nothing of Christianity and are the one who is ignorant.

So you're probably not gonna take that oath right?

Sir you mis understand my post but I appreciate a response. My reply was for grahm and I posted my response in the wrong place I have a pet peeve of people who talk before thinking though I can't disagree with the genocide In my defense his slander was against Christianity not Muslim . Though in the middle east less than 1 percent I believe is non religious.

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Belle Rose 24 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 120 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 25 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Virgil 4 hours ago. 202 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service