Alright, so a couple of days ago I was talking to a friend of mine in class. And we began to talk about religion. Now I'm far from the kind of person that likes to showcase my views on things, But I told him I was an Atheist. He Actually didn't believe me at first, and said that people have to take a oath to become an atheist. We literally argued about this for 5 whole minutes before I finally said lets go to an computer and get google the definition. after I showed him what atheism actually is, He still retained doubt. I just said forget it, and ended the conversation on it there. 

What I'm asking is how long will people remain that ignorant on atheism. It's not like he's dumb when it comes to other topics. He says He's a christian and he never even read the bible. And when I told him and another friend I read it They Laughed. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention one of the guys laughing has a tattoo that says "blessed" on his chest. And he never read the bible. That's just stupid to me, But I kinda want to know what other people think about this.

Tags: Atheism, Christianity

Views: 7670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where did I say I was smarter then 98% of Americans. I was simply talking about how atheist and atheism is misunderstood and when will people begin to understand it. I never said those words and I think it's insulting you would just make that assumption. hell, I'm only 18, a senior in high school. And on top of that I'm far from head of my class. Why would I think That?

Hi Lil. I'm 73 and would say you are way ahead of where I was when I was 18.

Thank you, I kinda figured I was a little late. just call me Rome.

"Furthermore to say that being a Christian demands no intellectual effort..." Precisely!

It is a bit of an exaggeration to say that only two of the founders were christian. There were many more than that. The most prominent ones were atheists and deist. Christianity would never have been outlawed because of the founders dedicated belief in the freedom of religion. They never would have attempted to regulate thought. Try not to exaggerate about our early history the way Christians do.

Michael, about your "They [the founders] never would have attempted to regulate thought."

You're right; at least two of them gave more attention to regulating wealth. Hamilton said he wanted the "rich and well born" to run the government. Madison said he wanted the government to protect the "minority of the opulent from the majority".

If anyone wants evidence for the above, let me know. It's online and in Federal Depository Libraries in Max Farrand's Records of the Federal Convention of 1787" and it's online.

Americas WAS NOT founded on Christian principals

Sure it was - genocide, racism/slavery, deceit, suppression of womens' rights, white supremecy, "witch" burnings.....very Christian indeed.

Now, the nice things Christians try to claim- peace, love, tolerance, service to mankind, etc,- are not uniquely Christian and are not dominant values in practical Christianity over the course of American history.

Christian "love" is not so loving.

I challenge anyone to read the bible and say the message is not beautiful

@ Colt - Yeah, I especially like: 

JOSHUA 11:6   Horse torture:  And the LORDsaid unto Joshua, Be not afraid because of them: for  tomorrow about this time will I deliver them up all slain before Israel: thou shalt hough their horses, and burn their chariots with fire.

And we are a country found on Christian principles

Proof?  We are no means a christian nation or a nation founded on christian principals.

I was gonna say this guy is the grand-emperor of trolls... then I saw the cowboy hat, and realized.

You're gonna have to enlighten us non-Americans!  What does does the cowboy hat mean to you @C. Lewal 

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 8 hours ago. 2 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 10 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service