I have many pet peeves but these are my biggest two that get under my skin really badly:
1) When people punctuate "Guess what" with a question mark. That is not correct and it drives me nuts. It is an imperative, therefore you would punctuate it with a period or an exclamation point.
2) When people use phrases like "Kelly and I" incorrectly. They label photos with "David and I" when it is actually supposed to be "David and Me". I see it used incorrectly on Facebook almost every time I log in. Is it because the people that I know (I mostly have only R.L. friends on FB) received poor education here in SC or is it just ignorance?
No matter what your pet peeve is, please share. It doesn't have to be about words or grammar... it can be anything! And please tell us why it gets to you.
Spouses or partners who have entire conversations between themselves on Facebook, particularly when fighting. Get off the internet, get in the same room and talk to each other already!
Guess what! I didn't know that about "Guess what", so thank you. I must have missed that one on Schoolhouse Rock.
More than one Spouse = spice. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Here's a couple more:
Lose = an item or person who may have been missed placed.
Loose = I think my nuts are loose (on my lawn mower)
Tomorrow not tomarrow
BTW, not all fat people chose to be that way.
I'm with u on "loose" and lose", and I've also seen people use "choose" and "chose" incorrectly.
Pet Peeves? Let's see. There are so many so I will list a few, in no particular order.
1) People who go to the Emergency Room for something that is NOT an emergency, and then complain about how the Canadian Health Care System sucks because they had to wait 3 hours. A cold is not not an emergency, a severed arm is.
2) Not washing one's hands after using a public (or any) toilet. GROSS! Especially if you eat after, and I have seen that happen too many times.
3) People who say Suh-pose-ably. I want to smack them.
4) Not being able to spell, or compose a simple sentence. It makes me wonder, "can you really be THAT dumb?"
5) Tailgating on the highway (or anywhere for that matter, but it is inherently more dangerous on the highway). If I am driving 130 (kms/hr) and that is TOO SLOW for you, you have bigger issues in your life. So I will NOT speed up or move over, go around me jack ass!!!
6) Not voting, and then complaining about the government. In my opinion, if you can't take an hour out of your life (and you get paid time off work) to go and exercise your rights, then you should not be able to complain. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
7) Seeing children in strollers who are obviously too big for them (like 5 years old) because the parents are obviously too lazy to have their children walking and slowing them down. Ever heard of exercise???
I agree. I think these ppl are also the ones that insist tht they are right, whatever the subject may be, when they are usually dead wrong. There is this one guy at work that sings karaoke all of the time. He really isn't that good, but he thinks he is GREAT. He has recently started critiquing everyone else's singing ability and telling them what they're doing wrong. I suck. I know I do. But I sing anyway for fun and I like for people to have to suffer through my performance, hehe. O, and he also tries to tell me what I am doing wrong when I am playing him in pool. I beat him every single time I play him, so why the hell does he think his advice is right when he doesn't even win?! UGH!
He's trying to psyche you out. It's the only tactic he's got since he hasn't got skills anywhere near yours. Ignore him and continue to trounce him. Ask him for advice in loosing gracefully--j/k, aww, there goes my inner b**** again.
That would be a good one! He and I don't talk much (or play pool) anymore. He is such and ass and I really just wanna choke him out haha! We can't be anywhere near eachother without him wanting to start and argument. And he gets "fighting mad". He's such an idiot...
Biggest pet peeve: people who refuse to believe me about something that there is no question I know more about. Good example: (P=person, M=me)
P: What kind of dogs are those?
M: Greyhounds. They're retired racers.
P: They're so skinny!
M: That's because they're sprinters. Their bodies are built for speed.
P: You must not feed them enough.
M: Actually, they eat as much as my parents' lab. They're just built that way.
P: You're abusing them by not feeding them enough. If I knew where you lived, I'd call animal control on you.
M: *blank stare*
Seriously, I get told that my dogs have to be super-high-energy (they're not - they're lazy as all get out and sleep 20 hours a day), are too skinny, must just be waiting to kill my cat (because ALL Greyhounds are cat-killing monsters) and must be making me a lot of money at least once a month. Nobody will ever listen to the reality despite the fact that they're my dogs ><'
Do you think saying o'clock is sloppy speech too?