I have many pet peeves but these are my biggest two that get under my skin really badly:
1) When people punctuate "Guess what" with a question mark. That is not correct and it drives me nuts. It is an imperative, therefore you would punctuate it with a period or an exclamation point.
2) When people use phrases like "Kelly and I" incorrectly. They label photos with "David and I" when it is actually supposed to be "David and Me". I see it used incorrectly on Facebook almost every time I log in. Is it because the people that I know (I mostly have only R.L. friends on FB) received poor education here in SC or is it just ignorance?
No matter what your pet peeve is, please share. It doesn't have to be about words or grammar... it can be anything! And please tell us why it gets to you.
Oh yes! A huge pet peeve of mine is demanding and rude customers in restaurants. I even loath it when I go to dinner and someone at my table is being finicky or rude or demanding. It makes me want to leave an even bigger tip to make up for their behavior lol. And I usually do it too lol.
You just joined my list of heroes!
I was at a place of business one time when the daughter of the owner was teaching me to use a particular piece of machinery. Her child kept interrupting, whining for this, that, or the other thing. Finally, I looked the kid (around 10 ish) in the eyes and said something to the effect of, "Look, you're not going to starve to death. Give your mom 10 minutes, and I'm sure she'll attend to your needs. Go sit down and let her finish, and she'll be done quicker." The kid stopped in his tracks, looked shocked, then went and sat down. At this point, I realized I had just verbally smacked the kid in front of his mother, and started to apologize for taking her position. She actually thanked me for disciplining him and taking care of him for her so she could finish.
A major pet peeve of mine is parents who choose not to discipline their children. The rest of us have to listen to--or in the worst scenarios, feel--the maladjustment of their children. You really can't blame the kids for being brats...we're all snotty little menaces until we learn better. My little cousin went through a phase where she was hitting and spitting on Grandpa. I yanked her off of him and told her to leave him alone. Where were mom and dad? She spat on me and I pulled her over by the shirt to wipe the spit off of my face onto her pretty pink cartoon shirt. That clicked. She looked at me with reverence, confusion, and a bit of concern. She stopped spitting on us. I was once out with a woman whose son threw food in the restaurant and it hit the other customers. She just ignored the whole episode. I wanted to crawl under the table! Then there are the screaming demons. I pity the parent that has to deal with The Tantrum, but if it's not addressed, the child misses a developmental milestone and anyone they come into contact with had better have ear plugs.
Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god(s).
1. Grammar, punctuation, and spelling. If I see another "Sorry for the inconveinance" sign again, I'm gonna punch a baby.
2. When people describe a large person they know by saying, "He's as big as you, just not as tall or broad shouldered." I get it, I'm a big fat bastard. I'm not a benchmark for comparison to other big fat bastards.
3. "I wish I could find a guy just like you." Really? Just "like" me? WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME, BITCH?!?!?
4. I hate when you're at Subway, and you're telling them what you want on your sandwich, and they ask you if you want salt and pepper or oil and vinegar on your sandwich. "Did I say salt and pepper, moron? Then why did you ask me?"
5. People who drive convertibles with the top down, but the windows up.
6. People who have their headlights on in broad daylight. "But Sean, you can see me from a farther distance with the lights on!" "Really? Since when did the fucking SUN become second to your halogens, asshole? If I can't see your piece of shit ton and a half car coming at me at 45mph in BROAD FUCKING DAYLIGHT, I'll turn in my license."
7. When I take 2 slices of bread out of the bag of bread, they have to be aligned the same way they came out of the bag when I make the sandwich.
8. Jesus Freak: "Have you found Jesus?" Me: "Did you lose him again? Damn, he's a sly fucker. First he gets out of the tomb and now he's gone again. He'll turn up soon. Just bait him with a leper under a big wooden box held up by a stick with a string tied to it."
9. When people tell me how to do something I've done many times before. (Mom's guilty of this).
10. When women assume that because I'm a nice guy, they can set me up with their ugly friends, thinking I won't judge them. News flash ladies, I may be nice, but I do have standards, and the manatee you set me up with doesn't meet them.
11. Guys who look like Santa Claus that actually THINK they're Santa Claus.
12. Finding a $100 bill, only to flip it over and realize it's a Jesus Freak pamphlet.
#10: Lol! pet peeve: fat guys who think the have some "nice guy" quality that gives them sort of pass entitling them to a gorgeous, petite girlfriend. News flash, fat gentlemen: ladies have standards, too. What do the majority of petite women want with a walrus, anyway? Walruses and manatees shouldn't be above dating one another.