We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"May god have mercy on your soul"

I find an appropriate response to that is "god is cordially invited to keep his mitts off my soul, thankyouverymuch".

Most times that stops 'em in their tracks.

Feel free.

After I was sexually assaulted several years ago I was told that "God allowed it so that I could help others who went through the same thing"  That's an immoral thing to say under any circumstance, but more so to a victim a day after the attack.

That is a horribly cruel and sadistic thing to say to a kid - and once again supports the notion of, "If that is how your god acts, I wouldn't worship him even if he existed."

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Truly.

Similar thing happened to me and I got "god wouldn’t
have put you through it if he knew you couldn’t handle it” or "god doesn’t
give more than he knows you can handle"

Amanda, I hate that one so much myself. God won't give you more than you can handle? Really? My brother posted a version of this on Facebook with a photo of a starving child in Africa (nearby was a patiently waiting vulture). It made a lot of people furious, but probably because it's so in-your-face true. How cruel and ignorant is it to make a comment like that! That kid may not handle it; he may just succumb to the awful fate he's been dealt. Any god that would allow such a thing is despicable.

If you want a truly shocking belief of a "former" friend of mine, after asking her if it's Gods plan to starve innocent children on the deserts of Africa she replied something like follows:  

"Well, if you think about it, God is actually being generous by providing for them at least a little something to sustain them.  After all , we are fallen creatures and we all deserve to be punished.  It's far worse to die a non Christian than to starve because at least there is still time for those children to learn the Gospel." 

To which I replied:  "But what if the children are already Christians and have been told the Gospel?" 

To which she just shook her head and said "I don't know ... it's in Gods plan and I trust he knows best."  

That is basically when I stopped talking to her.  That and saying she felt sorry for me that I was going to Hell.  Grrrrrr.  

That's sick. It amazes me that people can be so callous, and rationalize something so horrific away, and say it's "God's will" or "they don't deserve to live in the first place." That attitude is in complete contradiction to the "gotta save all the innocent babies from abortion" attitude, too. Why? So they can all starve and be grateful they are alive at all?!

I wish Christians (and other theists) could see how twisted and immoral their "logic" is. Her comments are not borne out of love or mercy. She should just admit God is an asshole already, but she's just trying to cover her bases to make sure she isn't his next victim.

I can't even imagine what you went through after the assault with crap like that being fed to you. Being told these things can only cause self-loathing and one to think they're somehow responsible. I truly hope you're doing well and are happy now.

Then did he also allow the others to be sexually assaulted so that you would have somebody to council? I mean, what a morally bankrupt worldview!

lol, great way of thinking about it.  I never would have thought about it in that way ... 

RSS

Forum

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim 14 hours ago. 13 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Virgil yesterday. 65 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose yesterday. 71 Replies

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service