We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I'll pray for you."

This makes me cringe. It makes the person who says it feel like "Heh, I win! I'm practicing my religion and there's nothing you can do about it, dirty heathen!" It's always in a condescending manner, and rather than actually DOING something, they feel victorious by doing absolutely nothing.

Or perhaps, "Well, when you die, you'll have to face GOD and we'll see how sure you are then when you're in HELL!"

This feels childish, almost like a little kid saying, "Wait until I get my Daddy! Then you'll be sorry!"

Today a xtian advised me that my life had no meaning without (his) god.  In *front* of people. My consolation is after he left the consensus was he looked like a complete ass. Really, anything they say regarding their religion grates my nerves.

The only thing that bothers me more than "I'll pray for you" is people asking me to pray for whatever it is they think I should be praying for! I'll get right on doing nothing, as that's the same thing.

A lot of people I have to speak to through for work end a conversation with "God Bless!" .... I never know how to answer, so I just leave it hanging there. I'm hoping, perhaps with futility, that the silence will make some of them uncomfortable enough to not assume this is appropriate.

When I am blessed by someone, I begin a long, long blessing of my own.  "May the goddess of the oak tree spread her protecting limbs over you, may she shade you from the sun.  May she feed your squirrel friends.  May her acorns land on your head. May ............."  Especially good when blessed by a grocery store clerk and there is a long line after me.  When someone complains, I say, "If you will keep your religious opinions to yourself, so will I."  I know this is not the same as saying I am an atheist, but it better illustrates how annoying having another's prayers foisted on me is.

"Today a xtian advised me that my life had no meaning without (his) god"

Actually, I think it's a bit sad that people "need" a "god" for life to have "meaning."  Why can't life have meaning simply "because?"  Isn't there enough beauty, wonder, etc., without a god or religion?  I know there is for me.

@Ron - I hope you told him/her that!

There are a lot of replies here and I'm too tired to read 20 pages of them to see if this has already been said, but Christians who say they hate religion (on the deluded basis that it's a "personal relationship", not a religion). This goes hand in hand with my inability to stand the use of words the speaker has no inkling of the definition of.

Having people say they'll pray for me is sort of annoying but it's so much worse when they ask if I want them to. No, I don't want you to waste your time whispering to a deity I don't believe in. If you want to actually help me, do something to help me.

Hey, Diz - it's been a long while - how have you been?

When people ask me "Why do you hate God"? I like to answer "I do not like Totalitarian Dictatorships", or Total Dic for short.

Totalitarianism: Form of government that theoretically permits no individual freedom and that seeks to subordinate all aspects of the individual’s life to the authority of the government (or leader).

Dictatorship: Form of government in which one person or a small group possesses absolute power without effective constitutional limitations.

Close enough for me!!!

That is, if God existed.

I might say "I don't hate god. But define "god"" - imo, it all goes downhill to the valley of nonsense from there.

Even though it helps people, I feel weird when people say they're here for a reason or their prayers were answered. They thank gods instead of doctors or scientists or farmers. And why should a god alter the balance of the entire world to give you the right conditions, like good weather or a sports team winning? Surely, someone else prayed for the other team or prayed for rain. Why didn't theirs get answered? 
I just don't think people are special enough to warrant changing the whole world. 

during Christmas when i had to do a project for my school about christmass and i put Xmass on the poster and the students got down on me for haveing an x when in the report i said that the x=Christ.

Christmas time when i say happy holidays instead of "Happy Christmas" but im referring to all of the celebrations of all religions to be respectful 

It really irks me when people say "God willing" as if to imply that we have no choice in the matter of whether something happens or not.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 60 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 16 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service