We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha if I was going to be uninvited to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, I would have expected it to have happened a long time ago. They're still trying to get me to go back to catholicism...and meat.

It might just be that it's late but I have NO idea what you're talking about! lol sorryyy

No wonder I'm pessimistic? Maybe you're saying blind faith is good when it prevents apathy and keeps people happy... I don't know? But if that's its only function, there are plenty of other things a person can do which do not have the negative results of blind faith. 

I was suggesting that 'blind faith' and 'stupidity' could be equated. 'Stupidity' could be equated to 'Ignorance'. If your mom would dislike be considered either 'stupid' or 'Ignorant', then kick back could happen. If 'Stupid' could be equated to 'retarded', and if retarded people are happier, then maybe 'blind faith' could be reasonable. Else we could be condemned to our morose/moody intelligence or elected psychosurgery. Under some conditions 'blind faith' might act like elected psychosurgery. After watching the Benny Hinn videos, this seems very likely. The American Psychlogical Association might like to know this, as well as the Religious Right. I expect that the NSA already has a file concerning this..;p) 

You do realize that I am trying to 'make sense out of non-sense'. This is about the best I can do after two glasses of wine and rewatching the movie 'Powder', which is a tear jerker for me. Or maybe it was the home made plum sauce.....LOL

@JC -that was an incredibly beautiful movie about tolerance, in the vein of The Little Prince. It should be a classic, but few have ever heard of it.

Yes, 'The Little prince' is also one of my favorites. My HS english teacher compaired me to the Prince.

Over the last 12 years, it appears that I have married onto my asteroid, and even have placed a few demanding plants under glass. Our asteroid/hill seems crowded at times, but I can play the steward as the seasons roll. It seems clear that, while visiting other places can be enlightening, I would much rather stay on the asteroid where we seem far from the maddening crowd and socially accepted ugliness.

If it was not for the, most times, mis-placed value of money, I would just pursue my science and environmental hobbies. I am about to run another MFC experiment, this time with a Nickel catalyist.     

Don't feel alone, money has never had any value for me, which likely explains why I never have any --

The most ridiculous, idiotic and insane comment is this one: "Well, everything happens for a reason!" This just infuriates me. For starters, whenever I hear people say this, something has just happened within their little world, they didn't get a job they wanted, or they attended a party that they didn't want to go to and then ended up meeting someone they enjoyed, etc. Let's look outside our narrow field of vision and test that theory. A child is kidnapped and murdered....what's the reason for that? How about a houseful of children dying in a house fire?  Or thousands dying in a famine? A mother of five dying of breast cancer? A suicide bomber killing 25 people? Airplanes as weapons killing over 3,000? You're looking me in the eye and saying EVERYTHING happens for a reason? You have never given that statement any thought, have you? Just spouting it out cuz you heard someone else say it.

Yes, and thank 'god' that EVERYTHING does not happen for any reason, all at once!

For some reason everything, right now, just seems absurd. I try to stay away from amature disaster films or psycho-dramas.

Amen, Sister!

The most ridiculous, idiotic and insane comment is this one: "Well, everything happens for a reason!" This just infuriates me. For starters, whenever I hear people say this, something has just happened within their little world, they didn't get a job they wanted, or they attended a party that they didn't want to go to and then ended up meeting someone they enjoyed, etc. Let's look outside our narrow field of vision and test that theory. A child is kidnapped and murdered....what's the reason for that? How about a houseful of children dying in a house fire?  Or thousands dying in a famine? A mother of five dying of breast cancer? A suicide bomber killing 25 people? Airplanes as weapons killing over 3,000? You're looking me in the eye and saying EVERYTHING happens for a reason? You have never given that statement any thought, have you? Just spouting it out cuz you heard someone else say it.

Well said Susan! And thank you ma'am.

I expect that 'shit happens', would be equally unacceptable? Or 'its not in the cards'. Or 'my horoscope says....'

Sadly, I had a Tarot cards reading once, but it told me what I already knew! That was the best I ever had!

'Tortured suspects said...'

That is because the book that accompanies most Tarot Card decks gives so called answers in the form of broad sweeping generalizations that could hold truths pertaining to everyone of reasonably "normal" or "status quot" lives. LOL 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Richard Raab 9 minutes ago. 49 Replies

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Noel 5 hours ago. 17 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 8 hours ago. 62 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service