We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?
What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...
You get the idea.
Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!
That would bug me because you know what she really means and feels. She's just masking it out of superstition.
"It's God's will" to justify whatever.
"The Lord works in mysterious ways" when something that seems not to jibe with a loving God happens.
"...is in a better place now." THEY'RE DEAD!
What's worse is in some cases it's still nevertheless true that they are in a better place.
Good question, great answers.
1. "God bless you," or "bless you' for sneezing. If the former, good luck with that. If the latter, who the hell are you to attempt to bless me??
2. "Are you washed in the blood of the lamb?"-- my aunt, to which my answer was, "I'm vegetarian."
3. Positive thinking. My friend believes that "we are our choices." For a person with 2 college degrees, she has no grasp of the overarching social structures that define and perpetuate social classes. Also, she's been on my ass for years to watch/read The Secret. Never gonna happen, even if she keeps "sending wishes out into the universe."
I actually got to use this one - When asked "Do you miss Jesus in your life" my all-too-reflexive reply was "Yes, but my aim is improving".
ROFL. I don't think I dare use that one.
I might well think it though.
I try not to give Xians the impression I am merely mad at Jesus or God; that's another one of their stupid misconceptions about atheists. (OTOH I've known people who claim they are atheists because they are pissed off at something God did to them!)
I hate it when I have shown some generosity to someone, and instead of a simple "Thanks", he thanks god! I would rather just go on my way, but feel I must say, " I'm an atheist, and god had nothing to do with it".
It's already been said a few times but "all part of god's plan" I want no part of that plan.
I also detest "just give it to god" I actually had a therepist tell me that. I felt like saying "well while I'm at it I'll also give it to agatha the kindly cyclops that lives on the moon"
"You're just confused."
No. No I'm not.
1) "God is always watching"
2) "God willing"
3) "Everything happens according to Gods plan"
1) "God is always watching." "Even when I take a dump? What a creeper!"
Oh.. an incident related to a saying... Last night, my friend, who is a Christian, and I went to a restaurant in downtown Philly. We sat around with some other people in front of a fireplace. The fireplace next to us had this written above it: "Fear knocked on the door. Faith answered, and nobody was there." This led to extensive internal eye rolling for me. First, when I saw the quote. Then a bit after when he noticed it, was inspired by it, proceeded to take a picture of it, and send this out to several of his friends. I did try to be nice about it though. He's super sensitive about this sort of thing.