We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5558

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What really upsets me is when New Agers tell me "You create your own reality with your thoughts", "You attracted this situation/person with your thoughts"... Grrr!  That crap means that millions of people are suffering mainly because their thoughts are "negative", therefore they deserve whatever form of suffering just by the mere fact of thinking about it. As if a child born in most extreme poverty thought about it before being born and then he attracted it...

Sometimes, we have negative thoughts about something or someone, because we are realizing something is "not right", if we try to change it to a positive thought just because we are scared of attracting a bad outcome, whats going to happen is that we will ignore the red signs and end up F#$% up!

"like" :)

You are so right. I get tired of that positive/negative thought garbage. I suppose there's an element of truth to it in some sense, but in a larger sense... it's BS. Sometimes reality is what it is, and it doesn't matter how many bows you put on it, it's still shit. Is it even possible to have positive thoughts whiles you're starving and simultaneously worrying your village is going to be plundered and pillaged at any moment?

It's such a narrow-minded view!

There is truth to it, but not in the voodoo sciency way it is normally talked about.  Self fulfilling prophecies are indeed true - It's like medicine for the mind.  If you think negative thoughts, you will have negative feelings.  If you think positively, then you will have positive feelings.  

I agree with that, but there's a limit... which is what I think you're saying. In normal circumstances, you can give yourself a pep-talk in your car and feel better about an interview. Or you can sit and stew, convince yourself you're going to suck in the interview, and then you probably will suck.

yes, your summary of the limits I agree with ... it goes no further than that.  

You're right about this, the "Law of Attraction" is only true as a metaphor for thinking positively, but the problem is that people mistake the metaphor for some kind of natural or metaphysical law of the universe. It's one of humanity's most common but least recognized mental flaws: taking metaphors literally instead of actually comprehending the underlying concept they represent.

One friend of mine who fallows The secret aka Law of attraction, was experiencing a constant stomach pain, instead of going to the doctor, he thought he needed to think about "health" and he would heal himself. He spent 6 months trying to attract health, he finally went to the emergency, he stomach was infected by a bacteria and they needed to cut part of it so the bacteria wouldn't spread...

So much for his positive thinking...

Sad.

And this is exactly why I think these charlatans should not only be exposed, but quite a few of them should be brought up on charges of gross negligence.

Speaking of new-age wisdom, I cannot stand hearing "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual." What the hell does "spiritual" mean? Does that mean you've just picked out some vague, warm-&-fuzzy supernatural baloney to believe in instead of an established religion? And why is it that every time someone does describe their "spirituality" it never seems to have anything to do with any kind of metaphysical concept of "spirit", but instead is just a pointless metaphor for very real and non-supernatural concepts of human mental well-being? It's obvious that it's just an easy out for people who want to have immunity from the negative stereotypes of non-belief while being able to simultaneously share your criticism of ludicrous religious beliefs.

Yes I can't take the BS either, is like they want their cake and eat it too!. They criticize organized religion, while what they believe is a mix of what those religions preach and pseudo science ("the secret" & "what the *bleep* do we know?"). Most of them think they are their own gods, that they create their own reality, and that things won't happen if they don't think about them. According to them native americans didn't "see" europeans arriving because they were outside of their experience, and you can only see what you think about and know....

I had a friend who insisted the Secret was a valid book and the "Law of Attraction" a scientific Law (Had to explain that one to her, she still didn't budge).  People who are spiritual really piss me off more than many religious people.  At elast when entering into a discussion witha  Christian (of any denomination) you have *some* idea what they think and believe and have a starting point. 

With the "psiritual" it's just all over the place.  they seem to be Spiritualists to some degree, which surprises me when they claim to not be religious because Spiritualism is a religion.  Also, Crystals and Reiki and Alt Med nonsense seems to tie in with it too.

People who are "spiritual" for me seem to cover every other part of woo and crazy that even main stream religions aovid. 

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 7 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 7 hours ago. 5 Replies

I don't know what to say

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ward Cressin 12 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service