We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5558

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Make him aware that scientists too used to believe the world was young.  When biologists put forth the theory of evolution, the common _scientific_ argument against it was that the earth simply wasn't old enough for it to have happened.  Even when geologists started to agree that it was, the astronomers and physicists said no, on the grounds that the sun could not be that old.  Nuclear fusion had to be discovered before that issue was settled.

Far from "starting with" 4.6 billion years as the age of the earth, science had to be slowly convinced of it.

2 Corinthians 5:7:

"We live by faith, not by sight."

I've seen it all over religious merchandise, and it's profoundly irritating. 

I have actually have gotten some of close coworkers to stop saying 'bless you' to me. But for that you have to be out at work, which can cause it's own set of issues. But what drives me nuts is "Maybe "insert good  thing here" would happen if you believed." But at least they leave me alone because they have realized I know more about their own religion then they do...

"It's not a religion, it's a relationship" is definitely one of the most annoying to me.

"God is good (all the time), all the time (God is good)"

Oh, and anything with the words "presupposition", "worldview", "postmodern" or "the world (as in society)"

"Have a blessed day," gets on my nerves. One person in particular that I work with drives me insane. Every thing to him is blessed this and blessed that. Today for example he proclaimed that "God has really blessed us with such nice weather today." Then says about someone " God has really blessed them with such a wonderful voice." On and on and on. He even bows his head and thanks the lord when he gets a cup of water out of the water cooler and says how blessed we are to have good tasting cold water to quence our thirsts. Gets on my nerves!

Ask him why his god has apparently cursed so many people (including young children) by giving them no clean water - or even no water at all.

Wow I didn't realize you work for (or maybe even play for) the Denver Broncos.  I mean, you are talking about Tim Tebow, right?

Oh, and some of the hymns are not only annoying, but in some ways are antithetical to the nonviolent stance of the (supposed) Jesus. How about Onward Christian Soldiers?

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus going on before.
Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
Forward into battle see His banners go!

Refrain
Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus going on before.

At the sign of triumph Satan’s host doth flee;
On then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!
Hell’s foundations quiver at the shout of praise;
Brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.

(Refrain)

Like a mighty army moves the church of God;
Brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.
We are not divided, all one body we,
One in hope and doctrine, one in charity.

(Refrain)

Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane,
But the church of Jesus constant will remain.
Gates of hell can never ’gainst that church prevail;
We have Christ’s own promise, and that cannot fail.

(Refrain)

Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,
Blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.
Glory, laud, and honor unto Christ the King,
This through countless ages men and angels sing.

And of course it's sung to this marching cadence. I'm shocked they don't talk about "girding your loins for war" or something like that.

And the xians scoff at the crap the extremist Muslims say and do? Xians have been doing shit like that for millenia. Basically it has always been "My god can beat up your god."

This crap reminds me of the idiot fundamentalist xians who also love to talk about their "Second Amendment Rights" and go on advocating violence against one group or another.

I swear, I bet there are some of them who think/hope/pray that Jesus returns in a F-22, toting a 50cal or a beltfed weapon.

By their very nature, any adage, slogan, saying, utterance and so on that's wrapped in religion is offensive to me.  Even the seasonal "Merry Christmas" is insulting.  Why?  Santa, Saint Nick or what ever his handle, is a fraud predicated to a myth that's perpetrated on children, the most vulnerable members of any society.  I had it figured out before I started school way back in 1950 and had big arguments with cousins about the utterly ridiculous idea.  I also knew that two-bits under my pillow for payment came from my mom and not the tooth fairy; however, when i was a kit 25-cents was hard cash that bought a whole day's worth of candy; why spoil a good thing?  Same thing with xmas.  When my folks were having a bad time money-wise and could present me with but a small present, they tried to break the Santa myth to me as gently as possible.  I told them it was OK as I had known for some time it was all a play and I was happy with whatever they gave me, and it didn't have to be anytime of year, except perhaps for birthdays as I had managed to live for another year.  Yep, I was a smart-ass kid and stayed that way all through school.

1) I get a bit irked when people say something to the effect of "it was meant to be" or "god gave me this for a reason."  I understand that it might mentally help them cope with something difficult in the moment and as just a phrase that you're used to saying it's harmless, but in the long run this mentality takes the place of critical thinking and problem-solving in order to prevent something similar happening again the future.
2) I find it intolerable the way that politicians flaunt god and religion as a badge in order to please the masses and boost their popularity (although the parodies that arise from such ridiculousness are often hilarious).
3) Last but not least, I get really frustrated when xians "demonize" other people both religious or nonreligious for essentially existing and wanting an equal chance to display and see messages that they relate to (Have you heard about Santa Monica?). "That is the devil's work," "They're trying to take my faith away from me." Why is your faith so weak that taking a nativity scene down from a court house or a public park shakes it?

This is because others don't follow the Book. It says :"love in DEED not in word."I am a believer,but over the years I have tried to help others (my co.does the same thing) regardless of their backgrounds if I was/am able to do so.Who needs 'words' when they could use some help from a fellow human being?

RSS

Forum

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Virgil 23 minutes ago. 24 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Ward Cressin 6 hours ago. 7 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 8 hours ago. 46 Replies

Blog Posts

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 2 Comments

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service