We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5469

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm pretty relentless with criticising Mormonism, because it's such an obvious example of how a batsh1t crazy cult can be legitimized into a batsh1t crazy 'religion'--an example that I hope makes followers of it's predecessor/brother religions pause to think about the origin of their faith.  Anyway, the other night my dad said to me, 'of all people, I would never have imagined you would become intolerant toward a religion.'  It really pissed me off because you're not likely to be accused of intolerance for criticizing other barbaric cultural institutions.  I feel that is essentially what my jokes and pointed questioning do--challenge cultural institutions which we hold beyond reproach because we call them 'religions.'  Also, it's not like I bite my tongue when Judaism, Catholicism, Islam, etc. come up.  I calls it like I sees it.

When I'm pointing out contradictions and lack of logic in scripture, and am told "you can't comprehend the actual interpretation because you're not a believer," or " Your mind is too limited to ever understand gods nature."

This of course, on the heels of their failed attempts to make any fucking sense at all, explaining their own interpretation.

"It's 'god's'™ will" when somebody dies.  Well, my friend, you've just removed free will from our equations.

When I was a Christian, I struggled a lot with the fact that God would never speak to me.  I'd never hear his voice, feel his presence, or receive any of the joy, comfort, or guidance that a relationship with God was supposed to bring.  More than once, when I talked to people at church about this, I was told:

"Maybe God just wants to teach you to rely on Him."

WHAT?!

How does that make sense in any way?!  If I reached out to a friend, and this friend simply ignored me, the only lesson I have to learn from that is that I CAN'T rely on them!  How in the hell is that supposed to teach me TO rely on them?  It makes no goddamn sense.

As a child I was fascinated by religion. I went to every church with in walking or bus range. Read many versions of the Bible. Had a large collection of different Bibles.  Also read about the old religions with their many gods of different powers.  Hades is considered by most to be like the Biblical hell. Well it wasn't it was were you went when you died, good bad or indifferent. It just had different places for different  people. In your statement you say " how in the hell is that supposed to teach me" hell is a noun not a verb. If you believe  in a hell then what else do you believe in? A good atheist if that term can be used would not use hell in that contexts.

We all analyze that's what got us where we are. I've never thought of hell as being a slang term. Don't use the term myself but have certainly heard others use in mainly crude ways. I guess that if one uses it that way it may be classed as slang. Thanks for enlightening me.

so i ask: "isn't it strange that in the bible people heard so often god's voice, while nowadays god stopped to manifest himself to his believers?"

and i always get this answer: "it's because we are living in bad, selfish times: we are unable to hear god's voice".

don't you agree? :D

Well, now-a-days, if a person hears voices in their head, we have treatments available. Treatments bought to us through Science. No gods. No magic. Just science.

All they offer is annoying childish nonsense.

Hello Rob The different religions of the world may be based on varying factors that  are formulated by the way they survive. Being an atheist Is not a convection that all religions are bad It is a disbelief  in their religions.  I have friends that are religious and I never condemn  their belief. If you read some of the many religious text you will find that they have some wise comments to make. That does not make me believe in their God. Saying it is childish nonsense is nonsense. Most of the books were written by Intelligent people, because they have a belief does not detract from their wisdom.

They may be intelligent, but I can't help question why they let themselves drop all critical thinking and rationality when the subject of their religion is raised. If they're not rational regarding their religion, then why should I trust their rationality (and their intelligence) regarding anything else?

That's impossible to explain. I have meet very intelligent people who are religious. It makes no sense to me. I could be they were raised that way and it became a habit. Few people seem to try  and explain their beliefs. I don't think they think it need explaining. I don't think I've ever tried to explain why I'm an atheist because I don't think it needs explaining.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service