We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mainly when they accredit man achieved things to god. Someone gets sick, they take medicine, people pray. The person is better and "OH JESUS THANK YOU". 

First let me say that I love you guys and I'm thankful to have found this bastion of logic and reason. Now, more to the point. I find it disturbing when people say, after some mishap where nobody was hurt or killed, "Thank God nobody was injured.", as if god intervened of someones behalf (odds on this are 1 in 7,000,000,000) and prevented injury. Call it what it is, blind luck. Christians have a lot of trouble with facts and truth. Be careful out there, it's a crazy world.

Yet another idiotic xian saying on Facebook...

Thinking of the people "god" gave me... he can have them back. And can I get a refund?

I have often heard so many Christians tell each other in time of adversity that
God will never give you more than you can handle. Then i think of all
the victims of suicide and i don't know whether to laugh or to
mourn.” - Jason Paisley

Yeah…. It’s all part of God’s plan
The holocaust, cancer, starvation, and the Kardashians.- It’s all part of his plan.

the Kardashians - lol.

The most simple thing is "God bless you" when I sneeze. I never say thank you. My boyfriend and I got in an argument about this and he said that "bless you" is just sort of something you say after some one sneezes to be nice. I asked him why we needed to do that after someone sneezes and he couldn't give me a reason. He's not religious but I still think he's on the fence. His parents believe and he's such a family oriented person that I think if he were to say he didn't believe, he'd feel that he was disapointing his family. But anyways, I understand saying excuse me after burping but why do you need to say bless you? Just that right there is assuming everyone is religious when it's simply not true. The sad thing is, if someone said bless you to me and I simply said "No thank you" they would start arguing how I'm pushing my atheist ways on them. 

In times long past people believed that when you sneezed your entire body stopped working. So they thought your soul could be stolen by the devil. The God bless you was to save your soul. I don't worry when someone says it to me. They are just doing what they were taught. It's not like they are trying to convert me. Being an atheist does not mean you have to insult people who have a belief.

My general response is "Not recently, but I'm still waiting". 

The saying "It's all part of God's plan." pisses me off something fierce...

I'm pretty relentless with criticising Mormonism, because it's such an obvious example of how a batsh1t crazy cult can be legitimized into a batsh1t crazy 'religion'--an example that I hope makes followers of it's predecessor/brother religions pause to think about the origin of their faith.  Anyway, the other night my dad said to me, 'of all people, I would never have imagined you would become intolerant toward a religion.'  It really pissed me off because you're not likely to be accused of intolerance for criticizing other barbaric cultural institutions.  I feel that is essentially what my jokes and pointed questioning do--challenge cultural institutions which we hold beyond reproach because we call them 'religions.'  Also, it's not like I bite my tongue when Judaism, Catholicism, Islam, etc. come up.  I calls it like I sees it.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service