We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I was a kid, my mom dropped my sister and I off at a public pool when we didn't know how to swim.  My sister drowned and I almost drowned.  To this day my mom insists my sister's death was god's will. 

That's really terrible, Ann. I suppose that's her way of dealing with the guilt. I can imagine admitting it was her own fault would be a burden too heavy to carry. I mean, parents make mistakes. It is pretty cruel of her to say that though, because it's just like "Oh well, I guess that was meant to happen anyway!"

This just makes me sad :(

What has always bothered me is the fact our mom dropped us off there, because she wanted to go to a religious meeting and wanted something to occupy us while she was at her meeting.

Wow, that's like a double whammy - for both you and her. And I understand if this has caused a rift between you two, because your mom's religion both contributed to your sister's death and your anger - and it CONTINUES to keep that wound open each and every time you hear her say it, or you remember it.

BTW - and please don't take this the wrong way - you may want to go talk to a psychiatrist or therapist. It is nothing to be ashamed of - I see both a shrink and a therapist to keep me from becoming incapacitated with depression. I always thought that seeing a therapist was a waste of time, but in hindsight I definitely see the value in it because it helps you vocalize the stuff that hurts you, and talking it out is the first step in helping you cope and come to grips with it.

Either way I am truly sorry for your loss.

Just a thought.

Thank you. 

Ann, that is just heartbreaking.  I am so sorry.

Ann, I am so sorry, that sounds horrendous and sickening, especially hearing that as a child. 

:((

Maybe that's her way of rationalizing and coping with her loss - and I am sure she was, and still is, wracked with guilt; I know I would be. However if I were in your shoes, and it was my sister that drowned, I would find that offensive and ludicrous.

My guess? Clinging to that belief is probably the only thing that keeps her from becoming incapacitated with guilt and grief.

When reality hurts too much, people tend to hide in fantasy.

"just let god deal with it"

so in other words, just sit on your ass and do nothing about it?  What a beautiful piece of advice ... if only it worked.  

I actually like this quote...without the God part, lol.

I get what you're saying and totally agree.  But I had to laugh at the combo of "F*CK YOU...Believe in YOURSELF."  Very motivational!  Hehe. 

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service