We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You guys have used up all of the best ones (e.g., "It's God's will"); but I think I'm the first to suggest "Onward Christian Soldiers."

Ha! I haven't thought about those songs in ages.

I remember my brother and I pondering these songs and rituals years ago, before each of us lost our faith. He was telling me how his girlfriend was so disturbed by the idea of drinking Christ's blood and eating his flesh. We noted that it was weird to think of it from an outside perspective, and we both admitted that it did sound pretty grotesque when you thought about it. Of course, at the time, we "understood" what it all meant, so we still weren't upset by how effed up it all is.

We're both atheist now, and it does amaze me that most theists can go throughout their entire life and not think, "Hmmm, this is pretty sick!"

I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you

Aren't those basically the same anyway?

It depends on the context. "I hope you get better soon" is never an underhanded or condescending insult, or at least not in my experience. "I'll pray for you" can be a nice way of saying someone cares, or it's the last word in a debate meant to insult, just like the atheist comeback "I'll think for you."

When friends asks for prayers for the sick or injured,I always say "I hope for their recovery." I get your point completely. A prayer is just a wish. I must cite Carlin here,"I pray to Joe Pesci. I get about the same 50/50 results." 

LOL!!!

"Doubting is allowing the devil in". My most hated religious phrase by far.

The Lord works in mysterious ways, his wonders to behold!

Translaltion: Oh boy, that was really fucked up, ya know, but god does know what's best!

Someday, you'll see the error of your ways (with a smug smile).

I really hate "what would jesus do"

my grandma is a very big christian, she is so christian her licence plate says:

4 GGGG US. I could be driving in my hometown, and see the licence plate, and know its her.

It's a stammer.  Four (four Gs) Us.  You end up saying "for" twice.  She would've been better off leaving off the 4 or doing 4GZUS

"your going to HELL!"

my husband's step-dad always says to his daughter "i don't want you hanging around them, you stay away from your brother because he's atheist and a bad influence and they're going to hell"

but of course he forgets about it and little sister is back talking and laughing with us, until he sees something that pisses him off, and then he says "i thought i told you to stay away from them"

and when people are praying at the dinner table and say we pray for those who don't understand you, for you to reach out to them. i know they are specifically talking about me and my husband. they can keep pray for that all they want, its not going to happen.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Cato Rigas 34 minutes ago. 68 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 51 minutes ago. 9 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 3 hours ago. 70 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service