We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Upon learning I am an Atheist, a friend of mine said, "Well, you can believe what you want, but if you're OK with burning in hell for eternity, then...(shrug)"

seriously...grrrrr!!!!

But the worst is this habit of people where I live(Eastern NC) saying, "you have a blessed day!"  I always want to respond with FUCK OFF!...but hold my tongue.

I hate it when people say "Thank God!!!" when I've done something for them. Or, when someone else (say, a doctor) does something (like save their life) for them. Thank the effing doctor! It's such a huge insult to so many people who've put in hours of work, and then a Christian will just act like it's all a miracle that sprang out of no where. Nooo... that doctor didn't train for years and years to perform the "miracle" that saved your life! God just popped him into existence for your benefit!

"If god meant for us to (insert idiotic remark), he would've (insert idiotic remark)."

exempli gratia  If god meant for us to fly he would've given us wings.

Turn that one around.  "If god didn't mean for us to respond to such idiotic comments properly, he wouldn't have given us middle fingers."

My favorite is my dad's, "Thanks be to God!" after anything positive happens. I even get it shorthand in texts, "Blah blah blah, TBTG!" ... It makes me want to reply every time, "so is that sort of like LGBT or something?"

LMAO!!!

Excellent :-)

THAT I will use!  Thank you.

Most of what they say doesn't bother me actually.  I have trouble sitting through sermons though, especially when the preacher/whoever can't stop mentioning Jesus.  I almost broke out laughing at a funeral when the preacher uttered the phrase "The Christ".  "Christ Jesus" is annoying too, and was repeated frequently.  I guess, basically, I'm sick of hearing about Jesus.

oh my God, 'Christ Jesus' makes me want to rip my hair out.  It's the WAY they say it too!  

When I hear people mention Jesus I can't help but laugh! I always picture an African American 'stereotypical' preacher crying "Praise Jeebus!" with the emphasis that is given in the middle of a sermon and which normally leads to song, or is followed by "Give me an Amen brothers and sisters!".

I get very tempted to turn around and start talking like that to whoever mention the name.

My mother had a very strange one. She never used the word 'proud' because of Proverbs 16:18. Instead, she would substitute it with 'I am well pleased.' not particularly bad, but it always bugged me.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service