We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love hearing that one.

As irritating as it is, I await my moment to turn that right around on the theist. I know at some point they are going to complain about something, or other wrong doing, or problem they have that they have no answer for and I simply say "that's because God wants it that way eh?"..."that's what he wants for you". "RIGHT?".

Never really gets a good response. But they know I don't give a shit. That I'm arrogant, ignorant and down right humorous about their plight. They gonna pray for me so I'm good.

"I'll pray for you" is about the only one that gets under my skin. Or even "Pray for me". There are other, equally superstitious sayings that bother me more, but they aren't religious/xian sayings so I'll refrain even though I'm tempted to expound.

1.  What the hell does John 3:16 have to do with sports John 3:16 is For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son Jesus Christ for whoever believith in him shall not parish, but have everlasting life"

yet at every single sporting event I have ever seen there are a ton of people holding signs that say John 3:16

2. "Everything happens for a reason."  Everything happens because it either just happens, like a letter falling off a gas station sign, or a person dieing of cancer even though they have been treated.  Or it happens because we make it happen, I glued a picture to a piece of paper and let it dry and that is how that happened! 

3. What would Jesus do or WWJD?  Example my born again Christian sister said that to me when she saw me smoking a cigarette, AS AN ADULT!  I said ____ I am not trying to be Jesus, I am just trying to be me, and me is good enough. 

I really could go on and on about this but I am sure the other replies are similar to what I think and would have said anyway. 

Are you sure Jesus didn't smoke? I heard someone caught him puffing on a camel --

That shouldn't count because he didn't swallow. I mean inhale.

Mmmm maybe that was Clinton.

ha ha ha

actually there is a verse somewhere in the Bible that says something like...and they smoked of the bitter herb...to me that sounds like they were smoking some magic hay which most Bible thumpers think is worse the cigs

As I've said before, quite recently, your ability to find appropriate crap never fails to amaze me! You are THE PRO appropriate crap finder!

You KNOW I like a lot of alliteration, but I also know you'd likely rather not be known as the

(finish it for me --)

And yes, Rathbone was the best!

(finish it for me --)

As you command....

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 2 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service