We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really irks me when people say "God willing" as if to imply that we have no choice in the matter of whether something happens or not.

I hear ya',  Most of the standard replies one hears, even in America, from people whose vocabulary is still mired in the 12th century disgusts me.  Consistent with declaring my atheism some 25-years ago, after being a life-long skeptic and agnostic, I started to clear my vocabulary of all such ancient BS and references to gods, God, or any of that mythology-based verbal feces.

I grow weary of people thanking their god for solving a problem that, if he existed, he could have prevented to begin with. We are in the middle of a drought and yesterday we got less than an inch of rain. Everyone I spoke to in person and tons of people on Facebook were thanking their god for this miniscule amount of rain that we so needed. It wasn't enough and we needed it weeks ago but hey, gawd is good for giving us this tiny bit of rain. Seriously?

'I will believe for you.'

'I will pray for you.'

'Read X passage, it will help.'

'There is a christian men's group, here's their number.'

'god said.....'

'Your brain will work better, if you believe in god.'

'Don't worry, god will cure me.'

'Would you like a copy of the Watch Tower?'

'We have desided that that is a settled truth!'

'You must be hard hearted to reject Christ!'

'Do you love your Mother? Yes! Prove it.'

Wrap your head around this: I had a guy tell me that I had to believe in God to not believe in God. My brain broke. I was like "The fuck? Is this guy for real?" I went over some of his past convos and realized he had the intelligence of a friggin' Amoeba...

@Gabriela - I'm certainly not a New Ager, in fact, I'm not sure I fall into any particular pigeon hole, but I do think that there's more to the philosophy you speak of, than you realize.

Let me offer you two hastily constructed scenarios, one general, the other more personal. Let's say you have one person, just living life as it comes - various things happen to him/her that aren't taken advantage of, because he doesn't have a clear goal. A second person may say, "I want to own my own home by the time I'm 30," or, "One day, I want to stand at the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris." From that point on, every opportunity that arises, that could bring that person closer to his goal, is noticed and acted upon, whereas the first person may well have not perceived the occasions as significant.

On a more personal level, we, of both sexes, give off subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) signals when we're interested in someone. There are women, and I'm sure you know at least one, who are attracted to "bad boys," for the excitement and unpredictability. Such a woman will bypass a half-dozen "nice guys," deemed too boring, to get to the "bad boy," who, being misogynistic, uses her, dumps her, and leaves her cursing all men for the treatment she received. A more positive attitude would have been more likely to send out a different set of signals to less abusive men, that could well have led to a much more satisfying relationship. In this case, the thoughts actually did attract a certain type of person, because they chose that type of person as their goal.

I guess what I'm trying to say, poorly, is that if you're clear as to what you want, you'll focus on that objective, by-pass blind alleys that lead in unproductive directions, and come closer to achieving your goal (whether that objective is good for you or not, is another issue entirely). That's what I would consider a positive attitude. The opposite of that would be, "Oh, I could never do that (or attract a person like that), so why even bother to try?"

"As if a child born in most extreme poverty thought about it before being born and then he attracted it..."

No, but as that child matures, his attitude will play a large part in whether or not he remains in extreme poverty.

" Inshallah " Arabic for " if God wishes it to be " fuck it gets on my nerves !

@mohammed - that doesn't sound very submissive! If you haven't already, you might enjoy meeting some of these people:

Welcome to the Group "الملحـدين المصـريين - Egyptian Atheists" on Think Atheist
To view this group, visit:
http://www.thinkatheist.com/group/egyptianatheists?xg_source=msg_we...

It might interest you to learn that the member, "Hope" is from Saudi as well --

"America was founded on Christian principles"

My typical response (or something like it)-

To which specific "principles" are you referring?  Christian "principles" seem to include a virgin birth, resurrection(s), vicarious redemption via human sacrifice (predicated on animal sacrifice), heaven/hell, judgment day, imaginary friends/enemies, magical thinking/superstition, prayer, homophobia, scientific illiteracy, etc.  Which of these is in our Constitution?

Now, there's a fair amount of genocide and slavery in the Old Testament, and there was a signficant amount of that in the "founding" of the USA. 

The only "Christian principle" that is worth anything, imo, is "do unto others."  And that is not even a uniquely Christian concept and the USA was certainly not founded on "do unto others."

The only mention of god/religion in our Constitution is exclusionary - enough of the Christian rhetorical BS and Christian theocratic nonsense.

I just explained to my mom that the proofs for god are faulty and so belief in god is based on blind faith. Her response: "what's wrong with blind faith?" I mean really? After what's been going on recently in the Middle East...what's wrong with blind faith? Of course I quickly jumped at her saying that to point out what blind faith can produce - 9/11/01, 9/11/12. And then she says "oh that's just Islam"... bothered me off to no end that she wouldn't change her mind about blind faith being a good thing.

If you can equate 'blind faith' with 'stupidity', it might work, but you could be uninvited to Thanksgiving Dinner.

I did take part in a conversation, on a long trip to ski once. A woman that worked with retarded folks, attempted to build a case for such people being happier. I suggested that this could be true, but geting a prefrontal lobatamy to test the idea, would not be the smartest thing to do during an elected surgery! Your insurance carrier could see it as a good idea if you are wealthy, but uncovered if not. LOL

There was another conversation concerning the relationship between intelligence and depression. A few friends suggested that having too many brain cells could make humans morose and moody. Not knowing that you are going to die, that life sometimes sucks, and TV has gotten old, could be nice. No such luck.... 

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service