We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

God works in mysterious ways.  or....  God doesn't believe in you either.  or....  God is an energy that is in everything....LOL....wtf?  are you effing kidding me?!

The very sadistic expression of "well, I'll go to heaven and you'll rot in hell." because you know in some masochistic part of their mind they get a kick out of the thought of you in hell. The people who carelessly say that others will be tortured eternally, as if they don't care for their fellow humans.

When someone dies, particularly if it's a violent death or one that was painful, "It was God's will." or "God has taken them back."

Really? So it was God's will to cause them immense suffering before they died? What kind of "loving" God would do that to someone?

For me, there isn't any particular phrase (although 'My prayer's are with you' and related sentiments often make me laugh) that bothers me, but responses to my position in religious discussions.  Apparently being an atheist means my position can be dismissed because I don't believe in religion...

A lot of things they say annoy me, but one that really got on my nerves was a christian friend who told me:

"I can't believe you are an atheist, you are such a good person. You should go to church with us (her friends) you would be such a great christian!"

Many of the saying I see here aren't actually prayers or blessings, they are phrases that we used to express ourselves, very much like "gesundheit" has its origins in the Germanic language "bless you" has its origins in Religion. At least from my stand point...

I'm a devout atheist and I still say "bless you" and reference god and his son when I talk (ie: thank god; oh god, what the hell is wrong with you; JESUS CHRIST, what was that?).

Christianity has been a part of our culture for so long its a part of our language, I know many atheists who will say hell or will damn someone yet no one bats an eye.

Years from now when (hopefully) religion is at least mostly weeded out of society kids will ask "Why did dad say god? what is god?" and the parents will have to say "ask your history teacher, I have no clue"

God is Love and Love is God

From the buybull, I hate "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." 

The most contemptible, primarily because it is an excellent justification for religion if believed, is: "without religion, people would not be moral".

A good response might be: "Without religion, the twin towers would still be standing."

One that I hate hearing and didn't see mentioned here is: "Satan's greatest victory is convincing humanity that he doesn't exist." I am usually fed this when I make a mention of anything that could go against religion. ANYthing.

I actually made a full conscious decision to throw away God and religion when I was trying to conceive. I suffer from a condition that causes infertility. I've wanted to be a mother for a long, long time, and my husband and I have been together for over 9 and a half years, but could never conceive. When it was starting to get to be too much for me and I was suffering from some pretty hardcore depression and mental distress, I had people constantly feeding me the religious bullshit of, "It will happen when God believes it's right to happen!" or "God is trying to teach you patience." As if almost 10 years hadn't been patient enough! When I was FINALLY able to conceive and was pregnant, some of those same people came back to say, "God has blessed you!" or "God has answered your prayers!" Took him fucking long enough, didn't it? Oh, wait... God didn't do jack squat! I was able to pull this off with the use of SCIENCE and the power of pure human determination. God had NOTHING to do with it! UGH!

I also dislike people saying, "Bless you!" when I sneeze. And the one about "God taking another angel for Heaven" when someone passes on.

Recently I was in a car accident on the highway that could have been very serious. Thankfully no one was hurt. The response from my mom was that "God was watching out for me."

You think god could have maybe prevented the accident in the first place? What about the six other people who have died in the past two months on the same stretch of highway? Did god not give a damn about them?

"God works in mysterious ways"

*facepalm*

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 5 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service