We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know that Xian can be used as slang for a christian, but is from Chinese Taoism and used as a name. It has a male and female name. Then the Buddhist used it in the Veda in Sanskrit the word is rishi means inspired sage. You know the guys that go live in a cave and stare at their navels all day. The word Xian is not in the bible and if Jesus did ever exist I'm sure he would not have heard of Xians. The word christian was not used until well after his supposed death.

:Xian" is short for "Christian" in the same way that "Xmas" is short for "Christmas;" the X stands for "Christ."  It certainly didn't come "from Chinese Taoism" but rather is a parallel development.

Just for further context, the "X" comes from the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός (pronounced Kristos) which is where we get the word "Christ." Even when I was a Christian, I would frequently refer to Christmas as Xmas for brevity.

yeah, because in that case they're being condescending a-holes. 

Have you read about some of the "great?" wars. Men who where taught that they should not kill went over and killed people. Prayer I agree does not help in those kind of situations. Religions even if you don't believe in them do a lot of good (and some evil) in this world. I don't mean you don't believe in religions you just don't believe in a god. If prayers help someone who am I to tell them not to. Being an atheist does not really make me anti religion. It's kind of like Steven W Hawking's book  "A brief history of Time"  said to be the top selling book that almost no one read.

We have a family member who is terminally ill and her husband is absolutely convinced that prayer has extended her life beyond the span predicted by her doctors. The fact that she is at the Mayo Clinic with amazing insurance and cutting edge technology is just a result of all these prayers. He has even gone so far as to tell people that saying that she is "in your thoughts" or sending gifts, etc. is meaningless to a believer, and does nothing.

Since he knows full well that we are atheists, it really hurt, but we send her stuff anyway.

Keep sending stuff.  It's a tangible reminder that atheists can be good, caring people, without the framework of religion or a belief system.

Yeah, which basically means, "I have no idea why that happened, but I refuse to look at the situation rationally because it will threaten my suspension of disbelief. That, and I hate admitting 'I don't know' so I blame that situation on god."

God always answers prayers.  He either says Yes, No or Not Yet.  

I'm praying for you - After they find out I am an Atheist.  grrrrrrrrrrrr

To "Yes, no, or not yet", I like to point out that those are the only three possible results, and therefore I could get the same answer by praying to a rock.

Or not praying at all.  ;P  

The reply that comes most of the time (actually like 100% of the time) is ... no reply. Not a "yes", not a "no", not even a "wait until I've finished watching the football". Just nothing. Is their god that ill-mannered?

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service